You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Apps on iPad

For about a month or so, I can not update applications on my iPad. They will not update automatically and when I try to update them via the App Store application, I get en error message "Cannot Update App. xxx cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID".

They were indeed purchased with my regular Apple ID.

I have tried logging out of the App Store and logging back in.

I have tried shutting down and restarting the iPad.

I could delete all the applications (46 of them) and reinstall them. However, then I loose all my back information and login.

The iOS is up to date for this device — 12.4.6

What to do to resolve this?

Thank you in advance.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 9:34 AM

If they were purchased with a different Apple ID then only that Apple ID can update them.

If its not providing the popup to enter the ID and password, when you try to update them, then you will have to remove them, and download them with the current ID.

This is one of the main reasons you never want to be creating more Apple IDs. Stick with one, and update it as and when necessary and keep it accessible.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 27, 2020 9:34 AM in response to mark louis uhrich

If they were purchased with a different Apple ID then only that Apple ID can update them.

If its not providing the popup to enter the ID and password, when you try to update them, then you will have to remove them, and download them with the current ID.

This is one of the main reasons you never want to be creating more Apple IDs. Stick with one, and update it as and when necessary and keep it accessible.

Unable to update Apps on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.