Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blinking Question (?) and HDD missing in Disk Utility after failed upgrade to OS Mojave

Hi, I attempted to upgrade from High Sierra OS to Mojave (or to Catalina) on a a Macbook 12 (2016).

The installation got interrupted and a message error showed up. Since then, it won't restart any longer and keeps displaying a blinking boxed ? symbol.

I've tried every option for recovery but HDD is missing in Disk Utility (theres is only a Disc Image and a sub item: macOS Base System of 2,01GB ).

I've tried everything possible and still no HDD is found.

Please Help!!!! (I am in Argentina and no Apple Service is available).

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 11:07 AM

Try the following:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 11:07 AM in response to mlpantaro

Try the following:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

If possible, back up your files before proceeding.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Apr 26, 2020 12:12 PM in response to mlpantaro

Your disk drive is toast. You need to replace it if it's replaceable which is unlikely. But you can check OWC to see if there is a replaceable SSD for your model. If there is none, then you will need to have it replaced by Apple. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service after the stores re-open. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

Apr 26, 2020 12:36 PM in response to mlpantaro

When you opened Disk Utility were you booted from the Recovery HD? Your interrupted installation probably occurred because the SSD failed. The only reason that the drive does not appear in Disk Utility when using Network Recovery is that the drive has failed. I am basing this on what you have reported. I do not have hands-on your computer, so I must with what you have written. It would help, perhaps, if you went through the recovery process once more until you get to the point which you reported. Take a snapshot of what you see. Please be sure it is clear before you post it. I only need to see the Disk Utility window you saw.

Blinking Question (?) and HDD missing in Disk Utility after failed upgrade to OS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.