Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook not booting up and no disk shown in disk utility

Yesterday I updated my MacBook and been using it after that. I had no issues. Even today I opened it, it worked fine and I shut it down. 1 hour later I turned it back on and I heard normal chime but instead of booting up it showed a folder logo blinking. So I tried to reinstall Mac OS again and went into recovery, when it gives option to select disk, it didn’t show any disk. So I went into disk utility and it only showed Mac OS part which is 1.82 gb and nothing else. I remember last time I installed Mac OS, it made some Mac OS HD partition and installed there as it’s the case with Mac OS Big Sur. I don’t think the SSD stopped working but it is mor an issue with firmware update with latest update. But how to even install older version of Mac OS with internet recovery when it does not show any disks in disk utility?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 8:18 PM

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by entering your serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

If you have an Intel Mac, then while booted into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R you may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility (macOS 10.13+). If the physical drive is not shown on the left pane of Disk Utility, then the drive has most likely failed. The internal physical should be the top most item on the left pane of Disk Utility listed under "Internal" and will typically be identified by the make & model of the drive such as "Apple SSD....."

If the laptop is a Retina non-USB-C model with a third party NVMe SSD installed, then you need to be using a macOS 10.13+ installer to see a third party NVMe SSD.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2021 8:18 PM in response to bugsLover

What is the exact model of your laptop? You can get this information by entering your serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

If you have an Intel Mac, then while booted into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R you may need to click "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" so the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility (macOS 10.13+). If the physical drive is not shown on the left pane of Disk Utility, then the drive has most likely failed. The internal physical should be the top most item on the left pane of Disk Utility listed under "Internal" and will typically be identified by the make & model of the drive such as "Apple SSD....."

If the laptop is a Retina non-USB-C model with a third party NVMe SSD installed, then you need to be using a macOS 10.13+ installer to see a third party NVMe SSD.

MacBook not booting up and no disk shown in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.