Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort/Network Problems

I have a couple questions.

My home network has started having tons of trouble.

I have gone through and rebooted and reestablished all the different Airport devices. I have a total of seven, all together.

The architecture is: My ISP modem is on bridge mode and ethernet connected to an AirPort Time Capsule. The remaining five AirPort Express, and one AirPort Extreme are configured to Extend Existing Network.

This system has worked well for years.

Recently I have been having multiple and repeated issues with separate AirPort Expresses dropping out, and the network as a whole going down, then rebooting and coming back up.

We have notoriously poor an ISP at our location, but I have ultimately ruled that out as the problem.

So, as I said before, I went through and reconfigured every device and got the whole system back up and running, except the AirPort Extreme continues to bring the rest of the system down, or in general, just not do what it is supposed to, and used to, do very well. It is supposed to extend the network, and provide wired connection/access to one other peripheral game system. All other computers and devices connect wirelessly.

Now, no matter how many times I reset and restart and reconfigure the AirPort Extreme, it will not effectively connect to or extend the existing network. Sometimes it will show up looking good in AirPort Utility on one admin device, and as not connected on another admin device at the same time. If a device connects to it, it says it is connected to the right network, but there is no internet access available, and none of the other AirPort devices show up as part of the network, kinda like it's its own little malfunctioning island.

Most recently, I have gotten it to connect properly, to show up on several admin device's AirPort Utility, but when I plug the ethernet cable in to connect the gaming system, I go back to square one with a malfunctioning island disassociated from the rest of the network.

And then finally, I've started digging through my Network Utility and found in the Proxies pane: "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains": *.local, 169.254/16

What is this and where did it come from? I never set any such setting....

Thanks in advance for the insight and assistance.

One final note regarding the AirPort Extreme. No efforts to really reset it to Factory seem to be working. It always appears to retain some semblance of memory of prior settings. What do I need to do to really get it back to a blank slate? Could that help?

Again, thanks!

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac Gen1

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 10:37 AM

I've got two time capsules and an AirPort Extreme. Are you saying that if I make one Capsule the primary point connected directly to the modem, then connect the second Capsule and the Extreme to the main Capsule by ethernet, I could then connect the other AirPort Expresses to the Capsule and the Extreme also by ethernet, and then achieve a faster multi access point network?

Yes. With Ethernet, you have a lot more options to extend a network.

And....you would also have an option to extend part of the network using wireless if it is not feasible to connect Ethernet to all the AirPorts. For example, you could connect the second Time Capsule and the Extreme to the main Time Capsule using Ethernet.....which will provide much faster speeds.....and then connect a few AirPort Expresses to the second Time Capsule using wireless and a few to the Extreme using wireless.

Expresses that were closer to the second Time Capsule will connect to that device using wireless and Expresses that are closer to the Extreme will connect to the Extreme using wireless.

Ideally......all of the AirPorts would connect using Ethernet back to a main Time Capsule using what is known as "home run" wiring. The main Time Capsule does not have enough Ethernet ports to allow this, so you can simply add an Ethernet switch with 5 ports, 8 ports, etc for more Ethernet connections.

If the "home" run wiring is not feasible for all the AirPorts, you can "daisy chain" AirPorts to each other. So, maybe the second Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme connect back to the main Time Capsule using Ethernet connections and then the AirPort Expresses connect to either the second Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme or both of them using Ethernet connections.

Or technically using the "daisy chain" method, you could wire the second Time Capsule to the main Time Capsule, wire the AirPort Extreme to the second Time Capsule, etc. There is a downside to the "daisy chain" method of course.........let's say the second Time Capsule has a problem. Then, all of the devices connected to the second Time Capsule will have a problem. And, it will be hard to figure out where the problem is because everything from the second Time Capsule on down will have a problem.

When you "home run" each AirPort back to a central main connection point, if one of the AirPorts has a problem, it won't affect the others, so it's easy to figure out where the problem really is.

The best investment that I ever made in terms of network performance in my home.....far better than any new router or new computer, etc...... was have the house wired for Ethernet to the three main areas where I needed good WiFi performance. Each of those areas has an AirPort wired back to the "main" AirPort, so I have a total of 4 AirPorts all wired together. The network provides a really strong, fast wireless signal everywhere in the house. Unfortunately, relatives want to visit just to use the WiFi network.

Similar questions

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2020 10:37 AM in response to mikegaulco

I've got two time capsules and an AirPort Extreme. Are you saying that if I make one Capsule the primary point connected directly to the modem, then connect the second Capsule and the Extreme to the main Capsule by ethernet, I could then connect the other AirPort Expresses to the Capsule and the Extreme also by ethernet, and then achieve a faster multi access point network?

Yes. With Ethernet, you have a lot more options to extend a network.

And....you would also have an option to extend part of the network using wireless if it is not feasible to connect Ethernet to all the AirPorts. For example, you could connect the second Time Capsule and the Extreme to the main Time Capsule using Ethernet.....which will provide much faster speeds.....and then connect a few AirPort Expresses to the second Time Capsule using wireless and a few to the Extreme using wireless.

Expresses that were closer to the second Time Capsule will connect to that device using wireless and Expresses that are closer to the Extreme will connect to the Extreme using wireless.

Ideally......all of the AirPorts would connect using Ethernet back to a main Time Capsule using what is known as "home run" wiring. The main Time Capsule does not have enough Ethernet ports to allow this, so you can simply add an Ethernet switch with 5 ports, 8 ports, etc for more Ethernet connections.

If the "home" run wiring is not feasible for all the AirPorts, you can "daisy chain" AirPorts to each other. So, maybe the second Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme connect back to the main Time Capsule using Ethernet connections and then the AirPort Expresses connect to either the second Time Capsule or AirPort Extreme or both of them using Ethernet connections.

Or technically using the "daisy chain" method, you could wire the second Time Capsule to the main Time Capsule, wire the AirPort Extreme to the second Time Capsule, etc. There is a downside to the "daisy chain" method of course.........let's say the second Time Capsule has a problem. Then, all of the devices connected to the second Time Capsule will have a problem. And, it will be hard to figure out where the problem is because everything from the second Time Capsule on down will have a problem.

When you "home run" each AirPort back to a central main connection point, if one of the AirPorts has a problem, it won't affect the others, so it's easy to figure out where the problem really is.

The best investment that I ever made in terms of network performance in my home.....far better than any new router or new computer, etc...... was have the house wired for Ethernet to the three main areas where I needed good WiFi performance. Each of those areas has an AirPort wired back to the "main" AirPort, so I have a total of 4 AirPorts all wired together. The network provides a really strong, fast wireless signal everywhere in the house. Unfortunately, relatives want to visit just to use the WiFi network.

May 2, 2020 12:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yeah. I put the modem in bridge mode, and lost all connectivity. The network is all screwed up.

I've got modem back on regular radio mode. And I've gotten the time capsule set back up and am able to connect to it, but I'm back to another older problem of two networks now, and the confusion that entails.

Can we continue to troubleshoot and verify proper function of the time capsule before I switch the modem back to bridge mode?

This is what the mess looks like now.

As you can see, it is creating its own network, and I am talking to you through it, via the identified wireless client.

That's a good start isn't it?

May 24, 2020 8:53 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Mr Timmons.

It's been a while. I had to put this down for a bit, but Im back on it.

I'll upload screen shots as necessary, but lets start with a recap.

For the main router, an apple time capsule connected by ethernet to a Century Link modem is the hub of my network.

I was never able to reconfigure the connection with the modem in bridge mode. The capsule would not satisfy the PPPoE authorizations. So, instead, the time capsule is in bridge mode, and the radio is turned off on the modem, so I still have only one available network to connect to. Everything seems to be working fine this way, so I've gone back to trying to get my troublesome AirPort Extreme to extend the network, because it still seems stubbornly set on other objectives.

Twice this morning I have hard reset the AirPort Extreme, and using Airport Utility from an iMac, attempted to set it up to extend the existing wifi network. The Time Capsule, and the AirPort Extreme are in close proximity, as you recommended.

No luck. Can't get past this....

What are your thoughts? People are waking around the house now, so if I'm going to have to shut extensions down, I'll have to wait till later.

Apr 26, 2020 12:01 PM in response to mikegaulco

And then finally, I've started digging through my Network Utility and found in the Proxies pane: "Bypass proxy settings for these Hosts & Domains": *.local, 169.254/16

169.x is known as a "self assigned IP address", because the device cannot find or is not receiving an IP address from the "main" router on the network. Or more simply, the message is telling you what you already know...... that there is no good network or Internet connection available at the time that the connection is lost.

Now, no matter how many times I reset and restart and reconfigure the AirPort Extreme, it will not effectively connect to or extend the existing network.

We can only tackle one issue at a time......and it appears from the information in your post that the major issue is the AirPort Extreme........so my advice would be to pick a time when you can power off all of the AirPort Expresses and AirPort Extreme and make sure that your WiFi devices can connect to the Time Capsule.

If the Time Capsule checks out OK, then it is time to work on the AirPort Extreme......with all of the other AirPort Expresses remaining powered off for now.

About how old is the AirPort Extreme?

One final note regarding the AirPort Extreme. No efforts to really reset it to Factory seem to be working. It always appears to retain some semblance of memory of prior settings. What do I need to do to really get it back to a blank slate? Could that help?

When you perform a factory reset and then configure the AirPort again, the suggested set up will use the name of your Mac or the name of the network to suggest the new setup. For example, if the name of your Mac is "Mike's MacBook Pro", the AirPort Utility setup software will suggest a wireless network like "Mike's Wireless Network".

Or, if the AirPort is going to be set up to extend the network, then the suggestion might look something like "extend Mike's Wireless Network" or whatever the name of the network the Time Capsule is providing.

So, it might appear that the settings have not been erased on the AirPort Extreme when they actually have, and AirPort Utility is simply using its own pre-programmed default settings to suggest the type of setup and names to be used.

Here, I am assuming that you are performing a Factory Default Reset......not that easy for most users......or a Hard Reset......much easier for most users.

Next item.......you don't indicate what device that you are using to configure the AirPort(s). Should we assume that this is a Mac? Or, are you using an iPhone / iPad for the setup?

Later, we'll talk more about what the advantages and disadvantages of an extended network might be and whether or not all of your AirPorts are actually extending the network. (They aren't unless the AirPort Extreme and all of the Expresses are connecting directly back to the Time Capsule via a dotted line when you take a look at the network layout in AirPort Utility).

The reason for this is that an AirPort cannot extend the network wirelessly unless it connects directly to the "main" AirPort on the network.......not to another AirPort that might already be extending the network.

Another way to say the same thing......Apple's "extend" feature only allows the network to be extended one time, not two. You can have multiple devices extending a network, but each one of them must connect directly to the "main" router. If they don't, then you might think the device is extending the network.....but it's not.

If all of this seems like it might make sense, and you have the time and patience to work things through......we might be able to help.

If you are looking for a "quick fix", then it would be best if you wait for other advice from another user.

May 2, 2020 8:03 AM in response to Bob Timmons

OK. So it's been a hectic time since I posted the first time.

Previously, I got my network up an running fine with out the troublesome AirPort Extreme.

I just took it out of the system, and left it to come back to later. And then I lost my whole network.

Where I live I have only one available ISP, Century Link DSL.

I've been connected to them for years, and just accepted slow service. My network has mostly always worked well, with Century Link's modem/router in bridge mode, and my time capsule base station ethernet connected and creating my own WiFi network, with all the subsidiary airport expresses and AirPort Extreme.

Well, now the whole system is down, and I'm back on a crummy Century Link 2.4Ghz wifi.

I'd really like some help, digging through my system, figuring outwhat went wrong, and repair it from the ground up, and hopefully get the whole thing working again, troublesome airport express and all.

Are you up for the task?

What do you recommend for a first task? Do I need to factory default reset my time machine? Will I lose my onboard back ups when I do this?

Thanks in advance for any offered wisdom.

May 2, 2020 9:56 AM in response to mikegaulco

In your screenshot......which really helps......it is clear that the Time Capsule is either not set up correctly, or if it is, the PPPoE settings on the Time Capsule are not functioning correctly.

Frankly, I'm not fond of PPPoE connections on any of the AirPorts because Apple is using the same settings that they used 10+ years ago on their AirPort routers. I've never found them to be all that reliable, but other users have had better luck. LaPastenague, who has also responded to your post will have his own opinions about PPPoE I am sure.

We can try to set up the Time Capsule to connect using PPPoE, but I cannot say whether this will solve your issues. It is always a trial and error process with things like this.

So the first order of business will be to power off all the AirPorts.....Time Capsule, Extreme, and AirPort Expresses, reset the Time Capsule and get the Time Capsule working correctly and reliably on its own for at least a few hours (longer would be better).......before.....any other AirPorts are added back to the network.

A Hard Reset is performed with the Time Capsule powered on for a few minutes, then holding in the reset button for 7-8 seconds, then releasing and giving the Time Capsule a full minute to restart. This type of reset deletes the current network settings, but keeps the previous settings stored in memory......which can create issues at times.

A Factory Default Reset is recommended because it erases both the current network settings and it totally clears out the stored memory of other previous settings. The default reset is more difficult to perform.......you almost need 3 hands to do this.

Power off the Time Capsule.......wait a minute or two.......then hold in the reset button first.....and keep holding it in for another 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the Time Capsule. Release the reset button after the 7-8 second hold and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Set up the Time Capsule again. If you use the same wireless network name and password on the Time Capsule as before, then the other AirPorts should in theory be able to connect again later without any other adjustments. If you change the wireless network to something different, then all the other AirPorts will need to be reset and set up again.

The idea here is to get the Time Capsule working again correctly with no errors. Please post a screenshot of things once you have the Time Capsule set up again. In theory, Apple' setup "wizard" is supposed to guide you through correctly. We will see.

May 2, 2020 10:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I am probably doing the out of order, but I have connected my primary computer to the Century Link Modem, and am trying to put that back into bridge mode, and then finish the hard reset (I was doing the three hand thing before) and reconfigure of my base station.

Hopefully I'll be back on in a little bit, and I'll be able to confirm that it is working properly again.

May 2, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Bob Timmons

When I did have the modem in bridge mode, and tried to set up the time capsule using PPPoE, I kept getting unidentified errors, and the set up would fail. The modem would not show any connection to the internet, and my ISP told me that because I recently requested an upgraded service, I would have no connection for five days. (which of course they didn't warn me about when I requested the upgrade). With the bridge mode discontinued though, I can connect to the internet. So I'm not certain their explanation is accurate. Which brings me back to my efforts to troubleshoot the time capsule as it is currently connected and broad casting.

May 2, 2020 12:17 PM in response to mikegaulco

If you click on the Time Capsule in AirPort Utility, then click Edit in the smaller window that appears, and then you click on the Internet Tab at the top of the window, you will see that the Time Capsule is now set up to Connect Using DHCP. That is the correct setting when the "modem" is set up as a modem/router.

If you click the Network Tab at the top of the Window, then you will see that the Router Mode of the Time Capsule is "Off (Bridge Mode).......the same as simply Bridge Mode. This tells you that the Time Capsule is not in charge of your network.....the modem/router is.

Apple Support will strongly advise you that the Time Capsule should be set up as the router to control the network, and this will require that the modem is in Bridge Mode and the Time Capsule will need to be reset again to start with fresh settings. In other words, with the Time Capsule in its present configuration, you cannot now set up the modem in Bridge Mode and then connect the Time Capsule with its current settings. That won't work.

You have to get the modem in Bridge Mode first........then......set up the Time Capsule again from scratch after a Factory Default Reset.

When the modem is in Bridge Mode the setting for the Time Capsule under the Internet Tab will be Connect Using PPPoE.......and the setting for Router Mode under the Network Tab will be DHCP and NAT. All of this is supposed to happen automatically when you use the setup "helper" or "wizard" that is built into AirPort Utility.

May 2, 2020 12:29 PM in response to mikegaulco

When I did have the modem in bridge mode, and tried to set up the time capsule using PPPoE, I kept getting unidentified errors, and the set up would fail. The modem would not show any connection to the internet, and my ISP told me that because I recently requested an upgraded service, I would have no connection for five days. (which of course they didn't warn me about when I requested the upgrade).

Very strange. The Internet might be down for 15-30 minutes, but I am not aware of any situation anywhere where 5 days, or even 5 hours would be required to restore service after a modem is changed to operate in Bridge Mode.

I don't have any guesses as to what is so different about your ISP.

So, you are going to need to decide whether you want to set up things correctly as recommended by Apple, or whether you want to try another type of setup where the Time Capsule will not be in charge of your network. I'm not recommending this, but its your call.

May 2, 2020 12:29 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Yes. You describe precisely what I was trying to achieve. Something happened with the Modem tho, I’m pretty sure, when I put it in to transparent bridge mode.

-The ISP said I would have no internet connection for five days because of a recent service upgrade request.

-The time capsule, when the modem was in bridge, kept returning an Unkown Error, and the set up would not complete.

When I took the modem back out of bridge mode I was able to connect to the internet again and the time capsule was able to connect with the settings you identify. So I’m pretty sure I’m back to the problem stemming from the ISP, but I’d like to verify there are no problems with the time capsule.

You also imply that you don’t find the Apple advice that the time capsule be set up as the controlling router convincing. I set it up previously as the base station/controlling router to facilitate good operation of the time capsule back up, and control of all the separate airplay devices and network extenders. Do you think there’s a better way to architect the system, and achieve the same end goals? Effective wireless back up, extended network and working airplay setups around the Network?

May 2, 2020 12:56 PM in response to mikegaulco

So I’m pretty sure I’m back to the problem stemming from the ISP, but I’d like to verify there are no problems with the time capsule.

The Time Capsule appears to be operating correctly in "Off (Bridge Mode)" if your devices can connect to the Time Capsule wireless network and maintain a good connection.

Unfortunately, that does not tell you how well......or even if.....the Time Capsule will connect when/if you decide to reconfigure the modem because the router mode setup for the Time Capsule is entirely different than the bridge mode setup.

I can't prove that your ISP is pulling your leg, but I think they are.

If you want to leave the Time Capsule set up "as is" and try to figure out what the issue is with the AirPort Extreme, that would be the next task. Keep all the other AirPorts powered off, since we can only work with one thing at a time.

AirPort/Network Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.