Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad security

What do I need to do online banking safely on my 6th gen iPad?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 8:03 PM

The browser will provide the same security as using your computer. Unless you have someone in your home that has jailbroken your phone and installed a keylogger, then you are just fine. I do banking on my iPad and iPhone all the time.

9 replies

Apr 26, 2020 8:34 PM in response to Rockdoggie

That is correct. All is secure. All of that other stuff is not necessary. As far as the older Mac, I'm not sure if Safari on that device has all of the latest security updates and may not be as secure, but the iPad will be. As far as Fidelity.com, unless they require something else, and they will tell you if you attempt the transfer. I use my iOS device for transactions with my bank, Western Union, PayPal, etc., with no problems.

Apr 26, 2020 7:47 PM in response to Rockdoggie

If the bank requires an app, use it. If not, use your web browser. Make sure that when you connect it is secure. You will see a small padlock icon in the left side of the address bar to show you are on a secure website. Make sure your password is complex when created, however most banking sites check to ensure you do that as you create the account. Also make sure you are on your home wi-fi and not a public wi-fi system.

Apr 26, 2020 8:27 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks, again. What about making online electronic transfers between my bank and fidelity.com, for example. I know that there are protocol protections on both ends but just wondering about the relative security of it all. Thanks so much for the simplicity of your answers thus far. So in closing this out are you saying that anti-virus, malware, spyware, VPN, (security suite) software is not necessary for secure online banking? That Safari and the financial institution software is sufficient? Can I also use my old 2006 Mac with the Snow Leopard OS that can no longer be updated? Should I have put that last question in a separate post? Sorry.

May 11, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Rockdoggie

I had a similar question after i read a recent article on the ARIA-BODY cyber attack that was discovered by accident. The attack in January compromised the computers data. The article did not specify what operating system was used but suggested that any computer could be susceptible.

Whether that is the case with Apples OS or not i am not sure. The question is do you keep your banking details on your computer or not? The likely hood of some one knowing what they are looking for is slim.

But! It's not like you can deadlock your hard drive. I figure that i may just keep all my bank details offline on a separate hard drive just in case.

iPad security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.