Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how secure is banking on my phone?

anyway to ensure banking passwords are safe on a cell phone?

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 4:46 PM

If your bank offers an app, use their app. Using a Bank’s app is more secure than accessing your account via a web site login. Apps offer end to end encrypted sessions using SSL encryption with the server public key hard coded into the app itself. The App has a more secure mechanism to ensure the server it’s connecting to is the Bank’s proper one, and that the connection is secure.

Most iPhone Banking Apps will also let you login with FaceID or TouchID so you don’t have to type your password.

If you use only cellular data with a Banking or Financial App, you further reduce the risk of unintentional exposure compared to using public WiFi and a web browser. If you’re at home and your home WiFi is secured, then WiFi would be fine. But when out, a cellular connection would be better than using public WiFi.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 4:46 PM in response to securityquestion01

If your bank offers an app, use their app. Using a Bank’s app is more secure than accessing your account via a web site login. Apps offer end to end encrypted sessions using SSL encryption with the server public key hard coded into the app itself. The App has a more secure mechanism to ensure the server it’s connecting to is the Bank’s proper one, and that the connection is secure.

Most iPhone Banking Apps will also let you login with FaceID or TouchID so you don’t have to type your password.

If you use only cellular data with a Banking or Financial App, you further reduce the risk of unintentional exposure compared to using public WiFi and a web browser. If you’re at home and your home WiFi is secured, then WiFi would be fine. But when out, a cellular connection would be better than using public WiFi.

Apr 8, 2021 4:35 PM in response to securityquestion01

securityquestion01 Said:

"how secure is banking on my phone?: anyway to ensure banking passwords are safe on a cell phone?"

-------

Encryption is Keen:

Make sure the site is encrypted. It would start with HTTPS, such as it on these forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252644634. It is Secure Shell Encryption hence the letter "s". If is does not start with https, then is is not the banks site (a bank would know better than to not make the connection encrypted).

For Note:

Use a Computer: For banking, I would recommend that you use a computer (your own), as it would be more user-friendly doing so. You don't want to make mistakes (financially-speaking), and small characters can lead to that. If your computer is not a Mac, then use Security Software. But, if you are using a Mac, then keep Security Software off of it.

how secure is banking on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.