Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Accountsd wants to use the login keychain" - I can't open Keychain Access

I have a 2017 Macbook running macOS Catalina (10.15.4).

I was recently forgot my password and was locked out of my laptop so I reset it using my AppleID.

When I logged-in using my new password, I got the 'accountsd wants to use the "login" keychain.' prompt.

When I tried to open Safari to search what to do, it would not open - I went to 'Force Quit Applications' and saw that Safari wasn't responding. I force quit and tried again - same issue. I restarted my laptop. Same issue (the keychain prompt is up the entire time). I tried Chrome. Same issue. Only browser that work for me are Tor and Firefox.

After searching, I saw that I need to go to 'Keychain Access' to resolve this issue. I tried to open keychain. Same issue! I've restarted my laptop but same issue. In the end applications that work include Apple ones such as TextEdit, Notes, Terminal, Calendar, and Activity Monitor and 3rd party ones such as Tor Browser, Firefox, Atom and Eclipse. Apple applications that don't work include Safari and Keychain while 3rd party ones include all of Microsoft Office and Google Chrome.

All the ones that don't work will not even open - it will have the "(not responding)" label next to it on Force Quit.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve these issues so that I can in turn resolve my original keychain issue?

Thank you very much.

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 8:27 PM

If your Mac keeps asking for the login keychain password - Apple Support

An essential Mac OS X Keychain guide

Repair Keychain in El Capitan or Sierra

1. Launch Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)
  2. Click "Show Keychains" in the lower-left corner of the window.
  3. Select the problematic keychain from the left-hand pane.
  4. Navigate to the "File" menu and select "Delete Keychain '(name of keychain)'"
  5. Check all options for deletion and press "OK"
  6. Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and selecting "New Keychain"
  7. You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then  going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 8:27 PM in response to usdjpy

If your Mac keeps asking for the login keychain password - Apple Support

An essential Mac OS X Keychain guide

Repair Keychain in El Capitan or Sierra

1. Launch Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)
  2. Click "Show Keychains" in the lower-left corner of the window.
  3. Select the problematic keychain from the left-hand pane.
  4. Navigate to the "File" menu and select "Delete Keychain '(name of keychain)'"
  5. Check all options for deletion and press "OK"
  6. Create a new keychain by going to the "File" menu, then "New" and selecting "New Keychain"
  7. You can now make this keychain your default if you desire by selecting it, then  going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make '(name of keychain)' Default"

"Accountsd wants to use the login keychain" - I can't open Keychain Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.