Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 iPad Magic Keyboard NOT WORKING on 3rd Generation 2018 iPad

I received my iPad Magic Keyboard for the 12.9” IPad Pro on April 24th to find out that it did not work. The keyboard was not recognizing the device and you could not type anything and it was not backlit. Oddly enough, the pass through charging was charging the iPad, but the keyboard itself was not functioning. I called into Apple Support and they attempted to troubleshoot the device without any solution and decided to have it returned as defective.

I took it upon myself to try and find SOMEONE else in this world that was having the same problem and I was hitting dead ends. I finally found one person on FB that said they had just purchased one and that their keyboard also did not work until they updated it but they were continuing to have issues out of it.

By then, I had already called Apple back and had them work on processing a refund and purchased a SECOND keyboard from Best Buy because I didn’t want to wait until the end of May (3-4 weeks) for a new one to be shipped from Apple directly.

I decided to double check and make sure my device didn’t need any update. It hadn’t prompted me that a new update was available like it usually does, so it didn’t cross my mind and the Apple technical support person x 2 also did not mention this. Turns out there WAS an update issued on April 7th for IOS 13.4.1. I updated and like MAGIC my keyboard is now working.

So this is clearly a technical software issue that Apple needs to know about. And for anyone else that may have just purchased one thinking they have a non-functioning device, it is clearly a software incompatibility if your IOS software is out of date. UPDATE FIRST and this should fix the problem. I have yet to have any issues with it and it is working fine.

You’re welcome.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 10:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 1:29 AM

I made several calls to Apple for assistance. They were not able to resolve the issue. They only suggested that I ship it back and wait 3-4 weeks for a new one. The issue was resolved with updating the IOS software and then the keyboard worked. I only posted this so that others might benefit from knowing about this issue if they also received a keyboard that seemed defective. It has been about 2 weeks now and I have not had any issues out of the keyboard since updating to 13.4.1. It’s seems like a software incompatibility problem. Just spreading the word that’s all.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 1:29 AM in response to QuickPost

I made several calls to Apple for assistance. They were not able to resolve the issue. They only suggested that I ship it back and wait 3-4 weeks for a new one. The issue was resolved with updating the IOS software and then the keyboard worked. I only posted this so that others might benefit from knowing about this issue if they also received a keyboard that seemed defective. It has been about 2 weeks now and I have not had any issues out of the keyboard since updating to 13.4.1. It’s seems like a software incompatibility problem. Just spreading the word that’s all.

Apr 27, 2020 11:06 AM in response to QuickPost

QuickPost wrote:

Hello,

You will need to call Apple for assistance.

Contact AppleCare

That’s not going to be necessary.

Yes, the phrasing of the posting confused me, too.

The posting describes a fix for a problem with the iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard keyboard not being recognized.

Patch to current iPadOS (13.4.1, or presumably later as available), and the keyboard will (should) be recognized.

Unsurprisingly, earlier iPadOS versions don’t recognize the new keyboard.

May 10, 2020 9:11 AM in response to COCisp

COCisp wrote:

Portrait Mode:
Portrait mode is NOT an option. Disappointing.

Log Feedback with Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Keyboard does not work:
Also, the keyboard will not work when you first attach it. A software update is initiated once it is plugged in and attached to the iPad. In about 30 minutes the keyboard should start working. This issue will resolve in a few generations of updates - probably sometime in June 2020.

Yes. That’s what the original poster here was seeking to communicate.

Shorter version, for those that follow:

Is your new Magic Keyboard not working? Update your iPad to current iPadOS, and try again.

May 9, 2020 11:18 PM in response to AppleSheepie

Portrait Mode:

Portrait mode is NOT an option. Disappointing.

Keyboard does not work:

Also, the keyboard will not work when you first attach it. A software update is initiated once it is plugged in and attached to the iPad. In about 30 minutes the keyboard should start working. This issue will resolve in a few generations of updates - probably sometime in June 2020.

2020 iPad Magic Keyboard NOT WORKING on 3rd Generation 2018 iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.