Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password not recognized.

Hello,

After I tried to up graded my iMac 24" 2008 to El Capitan, from Mavericks, this one stop it upgrade at the end of it asking to restart, but no any restart are able to install it... I tried to go back to Mavericks, but no Hard Disk to restart it, so I re-started it with my CD Snow Leopard, it was ok for different choices, then with Time Capsule and a backup of it, I was able to restore the OS, but now my iMac is asking for my password, I know it and the ancient too, but no success to open my session...

Have you an idea to operate?

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 9:32 PM

Hello,

If I am understanding you correctly, you were attempting to restore your iMac from a Time Machine backup and the backup could not complete because it is asking for a password that you have forgotten? You have attempted to reinstall macOS using the macOS 10.6 Snow Leopard disc however you are still not able to restore from your previously made backup because your password is still not working?

You may need to prepare a macOS 10.11 El Capitan installation disk and completely erase your iMac’s hard disk and reinstall macOS then attempt to restore from the backup.

How to upgrade to macOS El Capitan - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 9:32 PM in response to French Sheep

Hello,

If I am understanding you correctly, you were attempting to restore your iMac from a Time Machine backup and the backup could not complete because it is asking for a password that you have forgotten? You have attempted to reinstall macOS using the macOS 10.6 Snow Leopard disc however you are still not able to restore from your previously made backup because your password is still not working?

You may need to prepare a macOS 10.11 El Capitan installation disk and completely erase your iMac’s hard disk and reinstall macOS then attempt to restore from the backup.

How to upgrade to macOS El Capitan - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Apr 27, 2020 1:34 PM in response to QuickPost

Sorry QuickPost, I'm French and my English not so well, and it is difficult for me to explain the situation...

My first post was to describe what I did ont this iMac, probably to explain the failure of this computer... I'm not sure.

So, I have an iMac, 24" early 2008 which is currently asking for my password session, this password has been changed just before the upgrade (from Mavericks or Yosemite (I have a doubt) to El Capitan).

The up grade to El Capitan can't finishing, the iMac do not restarted, and no hard disk to restart, except I was able restore the OS of this iMac with the help of a CD (Snow Leopard) and a bock up of my Time Capsule.

I know these exercises was not easy and not familiar for me, but I founded these solution.

Currently this iMac do not recognise neither my new password nor the ancien, I can't load the picture "...loading error occurring"...

If you can help me, thank you.

Apr 28, 2020 4:09 AM in response to QuickPost

Hello,

I saw your different links, and understand why my iMac "run in trouble" with El capitan upgrade, in fact I saw this iMac not able to support El Capitan... It is too hold, this upgrade (El capitan) started for iMac from 2009, mine is early 2008.

I'm very sorry for the disturb...

Have a nice day, and greats thanks for these informations.

Password not recognized.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.