Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New password won't work on new used iMac?

So I had a great evening with my new 2014 iMac retina 27 inch until.. I was about to restart the machine after finally downloading Big Sur.

.. and the new made password won’t work!?

The password hint shows I have the correct pasword in mind and I’ve tried all kinds of similar spellings without luck Including caps lock of course. The machine has Catalina installed.

This won’t work since I seem to be able to write in the wrong password infinite times.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

What to do?

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 6:26 PM

From the article linked below:

Reboot the Mac in Recovery mode (press and hold Command-R at restart).

You should now see the utilities window, which shows options such as restoring from Time Machine, reinstalling macOS, and using Disk Utility.

1. From the Utilities menu in the menu bar, choose Terminal.
  2. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword, then press Return to open the Reset Password assistant.
  3. If you're asked to select an admin user you know the password for, click “Forgot all passwords?”.
  4. At the Reset Password window, click Deactivate Mac, then click Deactivate to confirm.
  5. If you see an Activation Lock window, enter your Apple ID email and password, then click Next.
  6. At the Reset Password window, enter your new password information, then click Next.
  7. If this window shows multiple user accounts, click the Set Password button next to each account name, then enter the new password information for each account.
  8. When the password reset is completed, click Exit.
  9. Choose Apple menu  > Restart, then log in with your new password.

Please see: If you can't reset your Mac login password - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 6:26 PM in response to Kärnhus

From the article linked below:

Reboot the Mac in Recovery mode (press and hold Command-R at restart).

You should now see the utilities window, which shows options such as restoring from Time Machine, reinstalling macOS, and using Disk Utility.

1. From the Utilities menu in the menu bar, choose Terminal.
  2. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword, then press Return to open the Reset Password assistant.
  3. If you're asked to select an admin user you know the password for, click “Forgot all passwords?”.
  4. At the Reset Password window, click Deactivate Mac, then click Deactivate to confirm.
  5. If you see an Activation Lock window, enter your Apple ID email and password, then click Next.
  6. At the Reset Password window, enter your new password information, then click Next.
  7. If this window shows multiple user accounts, click the Set Password button next to each account name, then enter the new password information for each account.
  8. When the password reset is completed, click Exit.
  9. Choose Apple menu  > Restart, then log in with your new password.

Please see: If you can't reset your Mac login password - Apple Support

New password won't work on new used iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.