Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Screen Lifting Up... Now Appears to be Dead

I noticed my iPad Pro screen was starting to come up in the lower left corner. I took the iPad out of the hard case to get a closer look, which I guess was a mistake, because as I was taking it out the screen went black and now it’s totally unresponsive.

i tried plugging it in to my computer to see if it would show up, and nothing.

I suspect that part of the issue is with a bad repair job. I had the screen replaced about a year ago. The home button has never worked right since then, it’s depressed and only works for fingerprint ID, which means I can’t hold it down along with the power button to reset.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 1:29 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 27, 2020 2:04 PM in response to PLB82

You already mentioned you had this iPad Pro repaired and you didn't mention ANYTHING about Apple.

We are all just users, here and not Apple.

Apple is NOT here.

AND I am NOT assuming Apple did this repair.

Apple Stores, in most cases, DO NOT DO repairs on iPads.

To expedite fast customer service, Apple and Apple Stores usually do in or out-of-warranty iPad replacements.

If Apple Stores or you sent your iPad into Apple in California, for a repair, they would have actually sent you a replacement unit, in lieu of an actual screen repair..

I do not believe that Apple did your repair as Apple or their repair/refurbishment subcontractors would have been able to fix your Home button correctly and got it to work again, no problems.

You can contact Apple and see what they will do, or not do, for what seems to be a non-Apple authorised third party repair of that iPad.

Contacting/reaching out to Apple Product support and services.

Tap on the first link below and scroll down some to get to the Apple Product Support section and phone numbers for your location/region.

https://www.apple.com/contact/

OR

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

If Apple asks you to send that iPad into Apple headquarters for repair/replacement and they determine it was already tampered with by some other non-authorised repair shop, the options are they will not honor any AppleCare warranties and they will give you the option to purchase another new iPad Pro that will cost you the out-of-warranty price of 60% of that iPad Pro’s original purchase price.

Since we are all just users here in the Apple product support communities, no one here can help with this issue you created.

Once again, Best of Luck to You!

Apr 27, 2020 2:51 PM in response to PLB82

We are all just users here and we are not technicians.

Most here are not really expert on the internals of Apple computers and devices.

You are really on your own to figure this out.

You could try the new hard reset procedure for the new 2018 iPad Pro models.

1. Press and Release the Volume Up button.

2. Then immediately Press and Release the Volume Down button.

3. Then, Press and Hold the Power Button at the top. You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the Power Button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Other than this, you will need to either try Apple or find another third party repair shop that know how to get your iPad Pro back up and running.

Good Luck to you!

Apr 27, 2020 1:38 PM in response to PLB82

Learn a lesson from this.

If the iPad was repaired at an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center, you should have returned there once issues occurred following the repair.

More importantly, if the iPad was not repaired at an Apple Store or Authorized Apple Service Center, you had an unauthorized repair performed and you should not repeat that in future.

Apr 27, 2020 1:40 PM in response to PLB82

If Apple did not do this repair and you went to a third party repair shop to get your iPad fixed, no one here can help you and Apple will not help you as they will have no part of an iPad that was repaired by a non-Apple authorised, third party repair shop.

You need to take it back to the repair shop that did the repair and have them deal with the issue that they made.

FYI,

If that iPad Pro was repaired by a non-Apple authorised repair shop, you forfeited any AppleCare warranties that were free or purchased from Apple.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

Apr 27, 2020 2:24 PM in response to sberman

That’s not particularly helpful advice. I’ve already purchased a new iPad. My question has nothing to do with that, though.

Anyway, I removed the screen and found that it had come disconnected from the rest of the iPad, so I reconnected it. However it still doesn’t work nor does it show up when connected to a computer.

Do you have any HELPFUL thoughts or advice on what might be wrong or how to fix it?

iPad Pro Screen Lifting Up... Now Appears to be Dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.