Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library repair stuck at 99%

I have this problem as well. Just upgraded to Catalina from 10.13 High Sierra. Wish I hadn't now.

Photos worked fine in 10.13. My early photos came from iphoto on a Mac Mini whereas I now use an iMac - but those photos were converted into Photos without a problem several years ago.

I have two user ids though. "Bob from mac mini" and "Robert xxxxxxx". I wonder if this could have contributed to the problem I now face.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 2:46 AM

How long has photos been stuck at 99%? The upgrade may take a very long time for a large library.

Are you using your Photos Library from both your user accounts?

Where is the Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

Catalina has more rigid security measures than the previous system versions.

For example, Photos will not be able to upgrade the library successfully, if the library is on an external volume, that has been used by Time machine. The library needs to be on a volume with a wired connection. See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Photos may also be stuck with upgrading the library, if the library contains media files with a codec, that is no longer supported by macOS 10.15. Catalina. While you have been using iPhoto you may have imported images and videos with an outdated codec, that no longer can be read by Photos. Such items should have been removed or converted before the upgrade to catalina.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2020 2:46 AM in response to bennettb14

How long has photos been stuck at 99%? The upgrade may take a very long time for a large library.

Are you using your Photos Library from both your user accounts?

Where is the Photos Library stored? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

Catalina has more rigid security measures than the previous system versions.

For example, Photos will not be able to upgrade the library successfully, if the library is on an external volume, that has been used by Time machine. The library needs to be on a volume with a wired connection. See: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Photos may also be stuck with upgrading the library, if the library contains media files with a codec, that is no longer supported by macOS 10.15. Catalina. While you have been using iPhoto you may have imported images and videos with an outdated codec, that no longer can be read by Photos. Such items should have been removed or converted before the upgrade to catalina.

Photos library repair stuck at 99%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.