Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina, Time Machine & WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Hi all,

Since WD has not yet released a firmware allowing Catalina to backup with Time Machine on my My Cloud EX2 Ultra, do you suggest other software for sync back up of my IMAC?

Thanks,

D.

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 1:04 AM

Hi,

I’m using The same WD EX2 with catalina and TimeMachine. In settings on the bottom You have switch to enable TimeMachine and its working just fine.

Take a look at the user manual page 84 or screen below:

Simon

6 replies

Apr 28, 2020 8:37 AM in response to Davaz71

NAS devices are notoriously inadequate Time Machine storage devices. You might happily bebop along seeing it dutifully back up, but then when it comes time to restore, it doesn't work.

They didn't work because they used a hack of Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) to qualify as a Time Machine destination. While the hack worked for regular file sharing, it failed at hosting a Time Machine destination. Time Machine was never supported when using a NAS that used that hack.

There is a new, supported specification for Time Machine over SMB, so that might provide a functional backup to a NAS.

Catalina, Time Machine & WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.