Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change sharing preferences on iMac hard drive, or connect to it from a MacBook

I have an iMac (2013) and a MacBook (12", 2015) each running Mojave 10.14.6.

I want to be able to mount the iMac hard drive over my home network on my macbook. At the moment i can screen share with the iMac, bit it will not connect to the iMac - simply says connection failed.

When i looked at the iMac sharing permissions for the hard drive - the system has read and write, and everyone else read only. I tried changing the permissions to allow 'wheel' to read and write- it doesn't allow it and says 'you do not have permission..) - I've tried changing the permissions in 'sharing' - doesn't work,

Can anyone help?

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 5:10 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 29, 2020 8:13 AM in response to den.thed

I have read that and understand how to change permissions. Unfortunately it just won't let me change the permissions for the hard disk- I get up info, unlock and select Read and Writes for the administrator - up comes a popup saying I do not have the necessary permissions.

If i go to sharing under system preferences and do the same and then close - no changes are applied.

Cannot change sharing preferences on iMac hard drive, or connect to it from a MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.