Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone backups on iCloud

Hi,

This might be a stupid question but I've recently started backing my iPhone on iCloud. I usually did it on iTunes before. But when I go into settings on my iPhone it says it's only backing up 6GB (I have 200GB on iCloud). Is this normal? I get that the photos are backed up separately but that does not leave 6GB.

I just want to make sure I don't get a bad surprise if i have to retrieve my phone's content from iCloud and i don't get most of it back.

Thank you,

Caroline

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 7:19 AM

No, it doesn’t mean that at all. I have a 64GB iPhone. My backup size is 5.2GB. I have a 256GB iPad Air 3 and my backup size is 5GB. I do not use iCloud photos, so all of my photos are included in the backup.

Go to Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Manage Storage>Backups>Your Phone Name. Under the heading, Choose Data to Back Up, let the list of all of the apps load. You will need to tap on Show All Apps. You will see everything that is backing up to iCloud in there.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 7:19 AM in response to CarolineZ23

No, it doesn’t mean that at all. I have a 64GB iPhone. My backup size is 5.2GB. I have a 256GB iPad Air 3 and my backup size is 5GB. I do not use iCloud photos, so all of my photos are included in the backup.

Go to Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Manage Storage>Backups>Your Phone Name. Under the heading, Choose Data to Back Up, let the list of all of the apps load. You will need to tap on Show All Apps. You will see everything that is backing up to iCloud in there.

Apr 29, 2020 7:00 AM in response to CarolineZ23

You have the 200GB storage plan. Photos are included in the backup unless you are using iCloud Photos. If you use iCloud photos, that counts against your storage space, but you are correct in that the photos are not stored in the backup.

Go to Settings>Your Name>iCloud>Apps using iCloud>iCloud Backup>On. In the next screen you will see the date and time of your last successful backup.

iPhone backups on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.