Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview not working

Preview Application on my MacBook Air not working. The application keeps opening up a pdf that i had opened via an email attachment. Thereafter there are 2 or 3 blank windows behind the Preview window. I have to force exit every time. Nothing else works on the application. Ive tried restarting and shutting down. But the same thing keeps happening no matter what I try opening. PLEASE HELP!

Running mojave 10.14.6

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 1:28 PM

Press the shift key and launch Preview by itself. This prevents it from loading its last (messed up) saved application state. Quit Preview. Now, when you open a PDF email attachment it should behave. Remember, email attachments do not have a filesystem path yet, so be sure to save what you opened in Preview.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 1:28 PM in response to yasmin_94

Press the shift key and launch Preview by itself. This prevents it from loading its last (messed up) saved application state. Quit Preview. Now, when you open a PDF email attachment it should behave. Remember, email attachments do not have a filesystem path yet, so be sure to save what you opened in Preview.

Apr 29, 2020 3:18 PM in response to yasmin_94

yasmin_94 wrote:

Preview Application on my MacBook Air not working. The application keeps opening up a pdf that i had opened via an email attachment. Thereafter there are 2 or 3 blank windows behind the Preview window. I have to force exit every time. Nothing else works on the application. Ive tried restarting and shutting down. But the same thing keeps happening no matter what I try opening. PLEASE HELP!
Running mojave 10.14.6

If after VikingOSX advice above does not resolve—

it could be a corrupt plist. If so you want to delete the com.apple.Preview.plist

From the Finder>Go>Go To Folder> copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.plist

delete and reboot the machine. plist automatically get rebuilt.

If still no resolve— reinstall the combo update on top of your existing macOS

Combo update 10.14.6 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Preview not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.