Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13" compatibility with 49 inch monitor

Hi Support,

I'm planning to get a 49 inch monitor (likely to be LG 49WL95C) for my 13inch MacBook Pro with the following specifications:

2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB.

I have done bit of research and found out that there are lot of people with 13inch MacBook having issues with setting up the display at full resolution (5120*1440). So I would like your your confirmation that my device would be able to drive the monitor before I make a purchase.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 5:31 PM

sure, IL144, let me help you with that. everymac says your MacBook Pro supports 1680x1050 natively (on the built in monitor) and one display at 5k (5120x 2880) , two displays at 4k (4096 x2304) and two displays at a little less (3840 x 2160). to get that resolution, you would have to use the Thunderbolt 3 socket (USB-C) , which your monitor has, along with DisplayPort and HDMI...

BTW....really nice looking monitor. If and when you do get the monitor, don't forget to get the appropriate usb-c cable and download the drivers for it at LG's website. I think the max length of usb-c cable you can buy is around 6 feet.

good luck

John B

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2020 5:31 PM in response to IL144

sure, IL144, let me help you with that. everymac says your MacBook Pro supports 1680x1050 natively (on the built in monitor) and one display at 5k (5120x 2880) , two displays at 4k (4096 x2304) and two displays at a little less (3840 x 2160). to get that resolution, you would have to use the Thunderbolt 3 socket (USB-C) , which your monitor has, along with DisplayPort and HDMI...

BTW....really nice looking monitor. If and when you do get the monitor, don't forget to get the appropriate usb-c cable and download the drivers for it at LG's website. I think the max length of usb-c cable you can buy is around 6 feet.

good luck

John B

May 26, 2020 4:24 PM in response to IL144

I have the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) and purchased the LG 49WL95C-W 49-Inch Curved 32: 9 Ultrawide display, based on the specs listed by Apple. My Macbook has the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB and is listed to support up to 5120x2880. I've tried the Thunderbolt 3 cable direct to the display, a DisplayPort cable direct to the display. I also ended up purchasing a CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt Station and still can't get it to support 5120x1440 on a single display. I understand that Dell, Samsung and LG 49" displays all have the same issue and they say that it is an Apple Macbook Pro problem. I've validated that a Windows 10 laptop can drive the 49" display at max resolution, no problem. I was also told to try Catalina 10.15.5 Beta to see if that solved the problem and it didn't. : ).

Apple, do you have an ETA for when you expect to have updated LG drivers built into the OS or if you have a patch that I can apply? For now, I had to create to separate virtual displays, using my DisplayPort and Thunderbolt cables. I'm considering moving over to a Windows 10 machine, after 10 years of being a Macbook user.

May 26, 2020 6:04 PM in response to SantaCruzRick

Sorry, SantaCruzRick, but Apple doesn't post or reply here officially. We are just Mac users here same as you. I have an LG 42" monitor, which will do 4k, just ( 3840 x 2160)-no 49" monsters here. (you lucky guy ) I suspect that the problem might be the odd screen size. You might want to get the latest version of On screen control for Mac from LG, which was released on may 7th, 2020. that supports Catalina. It's version 3.82. For me, anyways, I had to plug in my MiniDisplayPort cable, and the USB-C cable as well, even though I don't have a built in USB-C port on my "cheesegrater" Mac. LG was kind enough to include an HDMI cable, a DisplayPortCable, a remote control, and something I have no idea what it does, but they threw it in anyways. No usb-C cable included , apparently it depends on the country it's sold in, If they don't have to put it in, they won't. No biggie, just go buy one..... kinda annoying......

Oh, and I found this on LG's website describing your big, beautiful monitor.......

(these are their words, not mine)

"* For some Mac models with the Intel Graphic Card, the maximum resolution is not supported when USB-C is connected"

I think that rings a bell. I understand about it working perfectly on a windows 10 laptop. After all, there's a Windows driver for this monitor, so no huge surprises there. Apart from messing around in the monitor's menu, and making sure that DisplayPort is set to 1.4 if you're using that, and trying the old hold down the option key in system prefences, then displays, about the only thing I can suggest is to try SwitchResX. You could try giving Apple feedback via their beta program application. I suggest being polite when you do so.

sorry, that's all I have.....

jb

MacBook Pro 13" compatibility with 49 inch monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.