Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charger Type for MacBook Pro

HI folks, there is Apple information available indicating you can use either the 60w or 85w MagSafe 2 chargers with the MacBook Pro. However the specs for the 85w charger shows a 20v output, while only 16.5V for the 60w.

I need to get a new charger as the 60w Magsafe 2 charger I have is very hot to touch when charging (didn't use to be this way). I could just get another 60w, but an 85w charger would have an easier time of it as it would be slightly underutilized (computer will only draw the power it needs). Only concerned that the output voltage is higher (yet Apple seems to indicate one can use that charger...). The price of the 2 chargers are the same.

Any experience out there with using the 85w MagSafe 2 charger with MacBook Pro, 13", Late 2013 edition?

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 5:53 AM

TightShip wrote:

HI folks, there is Apple information available indicating you can use either the 60w or 85w MagSafe 2 chargers with the MacBook Pro. However the specs for the 85w charger shows a 20v output, while only 16.5V for the 60w.

I need to get a new charger as the 60w Magsafe 2 charger I have is very hot to touch when charging (didn't use to be this way). I could just get another 60w, but an 85w charger would have an easier time of it as it would be slightly underutilized (computer will only draw the power it needs). Only concerned that the output voltage is higher (yet Apple seems to indicate one can use that charger...). The price of the 2 chargers are the same.

Any experience out there with using the 85w MagSafe 2 charger with MacBook Pro, 13", Late 2013 edition?

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook ...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2020 5:53 AM in response to TightShip

TightShip wrote:

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook ...

Charger Type for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.