Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use 96W MacBook Pro charger for 2017 MacBook Air ?

I had 96w 2021 MacBook Pro charger, can I use it for MacBook Air 2017 ?

previously i use to use 45W MagSafe 2 charger. I lost the charger.

i wonder MacBook Air (non retina) A1466 can able to take charger from big 96w charger ?

I also have 20W IPhone charge too(just incase if it works).

worried if power unit of MacBook Air gets damaged if I plug-in other than MagSafe 2 charger.

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2022 11:14 AM

No. That was one of the last ones sold with MagSafe 2 and USB-A. The newer Macs with MagSafe 3 can charge through USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, but not yours.

You'll need to replace (or find) the power adapter. You could either get a MagSafe 2 power adapter (the 85W version would be fine and costs the same) or a MagSafe power adapter plus another adapter.

Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter - Apple

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2022 11:14 AM in response to Dineshpotla

No. That was one of the last ones sold with MagSafe 2 and USB-A. The newer Macs with MagSafe 3 can charge through USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports, but not yours.

You'll need to replace (or find) the power adapter. You could either get a MagSafe 2 power adapter (the 85W version would be fine and costs the same) or a MagSafe power adapter plus another adapter.

Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter - Apple

Jul 2, 2022 11:36 AM in response to Dineshpotla

Dineshpotla wrote:
It has MagSafe, FYI 2021 MacBook Pro comes with MagSafe

Not exactly. The original MagSafe and MagSafe 2 were proprietary with a captive cable and Apple's proprietary signaling/power. They were really only using different connectors (MagSafe 2 was thinner/wider) and there were adapters that would allow one type to connect to another port type.

MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter - Apple

The new 14"/16" MacBook Pros have MagSafe 3, which requires a USB-C power adapter and Apple's USB-C to MagSafe 3 cable. It's actually connecting through USB-C protocols, but using Apple's interface through a proprietary cable.

USB-C to MagSafe 3 Cable (2 m) - Silver - Apple

Can I use 96W MacBook Pro charger for 2017 MacBook Air ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.