Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2020 Home Button

I have just upgraded from the iPhone 5s (not by choice but I wanted the Apple 5 Watch!). However, upon setting it up, I’ve noticed that when pressing the home button, it feels like the button presses into the phone and there’s almost movement in the phone rather than just the button with a tiny quiet click. It’s hard to explain but with my old phone, the button presses in silently with no other movement. I’m trying to work out of there is a fault or if it’s just because the SE is so much thinner than my old phone? Thanks!!

iPhone SE

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 3:22 AM

36 replies

Nov 30, 2020 8:21 AM in response to bren144

The iPhone 5s had a physical home button. Since the iPhone 7, iPhones with home buttons no longer have a physical button, it is a touch sensitive button, it does not actually push down like a physical button. The haptic engine in the iPhone provides a haptic response for the user to know that they have "pushed" the button like one would get from the tap they feel when you push down a button and get a click.

If you do not like this, you have to option to let Apple know about it through their feedback page, Feedback - iPhone - Apple Your other choice is to vote with your wallet and purchase a different device.

Dec 10, 2020 1:26 PM in response to VEM282

My phone battery was perfectly fine before [the] update,” one of the affected users wrote on the Apple Developer Forums. “Now, it goes to one percent from 70 percent in [a] matter of minutes.”

The battery drain issues were mostly observed on older iPhone models, including the iPhone 11iPhone XRiPhone 7, and the iPhone SE (2020). Some iPad users on older models including the 2018 iPad Pro have also noticed sudden battery drops after updating to iPadOS 14.2 that arrived alongside iOS 14.2 in November.

Apr 30, 2020 2:07 PM in response to Trudi-7

I read that it’s the haptic bit that sends a vibration almost to show you’ve pressed something. It takes some getting used too, I have gone online a dozen times today to return it and buy the XR but I don’t want to pay so much more just to get away from the button. I’m glad it’s not just me as I thought I was going mad and trying to explain wasn’t easy!

May 6, 2020 2:41 PM in response to Torzie

I am also having the same problem. I pressed the Home Button and it feels like the whole phone moved. I thought it's some kind of manufacturing defect, but it looks like several other people also have the same problem. I upgraded from the old iPhone SE. I used to press lightly on the Home Button and the rest of the phone won't move. Now it seems I have to press very hard on the Home Button. Also, the sound produced by the new phone is different. It's like the speaker is being covered by something. Hmm...feel like I am gonna be stuck with this problem for the next few years.

May 18, 2020 5:45 AM in response to Lutz_24

I thought I’d have to return my phone because I had to press so firmly on the home button and then I discovered ‘Assistive Touch’ Once set up it sits at the side and you have one light tap for Home/ Screenshot/ Appswitch - you can choose which ones you want there and don’t have to use the home button except to unlock. Has been a lifesaver for me - although it does feel as if something actually moves inside the phone when you press ‘like’ on fb or scroll through dates - weird but can live with that!

May 22, 2020 5:43 AM in response to Lutz_24

Sucks, doesn't it? I returned my first SE 2020 thinking it was a POS that wasn't assembled properly. Just got a new phone last night. Was at the store past closing, get home and realize I have the same issue - another POS. I don't know how a person "gets used to this" as it drives me crazy. Maybe we just need to voice activate so we don't have to touch the home button.

Shame on Apple for releasing junk!!!

Jul 1, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Torzie

I just got a new iPhone SE 2020 and the home button noise is awful. Feels broken though I read it is not.

It will be too noisy at night while reading in bed. Unfortunately, it is poorly designed - in my opinion - and I will have to return it and stick with my iPhone 6 for now. I am VERY disappointed.

Well, I set it to level 1 and it is quieter. I still need to think about it.

Jul 1, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Torzie

I just got a new iPhone SE 2020 and the home button noise is awful. Feels broken though I read it is not.

It will be too noisy at night while reading in bed. Unfortunately, it is poorly designed - in my opinion - and I will have to return it and stick with my iPhone 6 for now. I am VERY disappointed.

Well, I set it to level 1 and it is quieter. I still need to think about it.

Jul 16, 2020 9:22 PM in response to Torzie

I so glad I saw this conversation. You have confirmed it is not just me. I have been contemplating switching from Android to an iPhone for a really long time. Since my phone was experiencing glitches and freezing I decided to buy the SE20 to see if I liked an iPhone vs Android. I have not been going to stores so ordered it, and activated today. If I had experienced this home button before, I am not sure I would have bought it. It is not pleasant at all and I thought there was something structurally wrong or broken in transit. I will try the advice here and hope it is not a deal breaker. Thanks community! Crazy, no?

iPhone SE 2020 Home Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.