Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB Superdrive not working with Mojave

I have an iMac with macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6.

Until today I experience no problem with my Apple USB SuperDrive. When I plugged it in and inserted a CD or DVD the disc immediately appeared on the desktop and in Finder.

But today the Mac no longer recognises the SuperDrive and the disc does not appear on the desktop nor in Finder. As a result it is impossible to eject the disc out of the SuperDrive.

I have tried a couple of Restarts and a Shut Down to no avail.

Does anyone have a solution, please?

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 7:43 AM

3 replies

Apr 30, 2020 11:02 AM in response to JohnnieSM

JohnnieSM Said:

"Apple USB Superdrive not working with Mojave[...]As a result it is impossible to eject the disc out of the SuperDrive. I have tried a couple of Restarts and a Shut Down to no avail. Does anyone have a solution, please?"

-------

Try the Following:

If you cannot access the drive, nor remove the disk, try the following:

• Create: a New Administrator User

• Boot: into Safe Mode (Hold down the shift key upon boot)

• Boot: with this plugged in (shut down; unplug for 30 seconds; plug back in; then boot up)

• Plug: into another Mac and see if you can eject this

Apr 30, 2020 7:00 PM in response to TheLittles

Dear The Littles.

Thank you for that reply. I must say that, being something of a dunce with computers, I found it a bit challenging. So I decided to plug the USB SuperDrive in once more (with the jammed disc still in it). It whirred away for about 20 minutes and then a box appeared saying that the CD was unreadable by the computer and containing an Eject button. I clicked on that button and the CD was ejected. I have no idea what is on the CD so I have thrown it into the rubbish.

The computer is now working properly again, so I guess it wasn't the Mac's fault but that of the unreadable CD.

Thank you again for your effort to help me; it is much appreciated.

Best wishes,

JohnnieSM.

May 1, 2020 4:36 AM in response to JohnnieSM

JohnnieSM Said:

"Apple USB Superdrive not working with Mojave:[...] I have no idea what is on the CD so I have thrown it into the rubbish. [...]Thank you again for your effort to help me; it is much appreciated."

-------

You are most welcome.

Shredding this Disk:

Rather than trash it, you might want to shred the CD/DVD. If you have a shredder that sheds CDs/DVDs, then consider shredding with it - or ask someone else If they have a shredder you may use that has that capability.

Apple USB Superdrive not working with Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.