Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications do not refresh in background

Applications like YouTube, Instagram and tons of other apps do not refresh in the background(background refresh in turned on) even if I switch for seconds. And start loading the home page again.

iPhone XR

Posted on May 1, 2020 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 8:28 AM

Hey soham_b26,

Based on your post it appears you’re having issues regarding switching apps while having Background App Refresh enabled for certain applications. Is that correct? If so, I’ll be more than happy to help take a look.

How long has this been an issue?

Does this seem to be isolated to third-party applications you have installed?

Have you tried toggling Background App Refresh off for the affected apps, and restarting the iPhone before enabling again to see if that helps?

Are the affected apps fully updated in the App Store?

Take a look at the steps listed in the articles below. Keep me updated once you’re able to give all the steps a try. 

Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 8:28 AM in response to soham_b26

Hey soham_b26,

Based on your post it appears you’re having issues regarding switching apps while having Background App Refresh enabled for certain applications. Is that correct? If so, I’ll be more than happy to help take a look.

How long has this been an issue?

Does this seem to be isolated to third-party applications you have installed?

Have you tried toggling Background App Refresh off for the affected apps, and restarting the iPhone before enabling again to see if that helps?

Are the affected apps fully updated in the App Store?

Take a look at the steps listed in the articles below. Keep me updated once you’re able to give all the steps a try. 

Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Regards.

May 2, 2020 8:57 PM in response to Teddy_B

To answer your questions,

1) It has been bugging me for almost a week now.

2) The problem appeared in third party applications from the App Store like YouTube, Instagram, Games etc.

3) I toggled off Background Refresh and restarted the iPhone and turned Background Refresh back on. And voila! The problem isn't there anymore.

4) All applications and iOS is updated to their latest versions.

The problem seems to have gone now. Was it a buggy software problem?

Nevertheless, thank you for posting a comprehensive detailed solution. Best, Soham.

Applications do not refresh in background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.