Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro 7,1 connector on the side strip on the motherboard? What are those?

There looks to be sata connectors on the small strip of connectors on the motherboard. What are those? Where can I find documentation for that? I cant find anything about them in the manual.

Posted on May 1, 2020 12:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 8:03 AM

Power: there are additional power outlets available at every group of slots. For example, there are connectors more suited to running PCI-e cards closer to the PCI-e slots below.

SATA: yes you can use them for your own drives. Third-party vendors (other than Promise) should be getting close to supplying the appropriate short cables any minute now.

USB-A: I believe that may be a USB-3.1 speed connection, intended for use inside the cabinet, but I cannot confirm that at this writing. The USB on the outside of the I/O card are only USB-A at 5Mbits, suitable for keyboards or slower devices, NOT mass storage.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 8:03 AM in response to shing123

Power: there are additional power outlets available at every group of slots. For example, there are connectors more suited to running PCI-e cards closer to the PCI-e slots below.

SATA: yes you can use them for your own drives. Third-party vendors (other than Promise) should be getting close to supplying the appropriate short cables any minute now.

USB-A: I believe that may be a USB-3.1 speed connection, intended for use inside the cabinet, but I cannot confirm that at this writing. The USB on the outside of the I/O card are only USB-A at 5Mbits, suitable for keyboards or slower devices, NOT mass storage.

mac pro 7,1 connector on the side strip on the motherboard? What are those?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.