Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep using husband's iTunes or get my own?

My husband has had an iTunes account for years and I never got my own because we only have one iPod and our tastes are pretty similar anyway.

But now - after years as a robot-based user - I finally have an iPhone (XR), and I feel like I'd like to have music on it that is just mine (none of the depressing stuff he likes!)

But I have no idea where to start.

I want to use my own Apple ID, so I guess that means I can't access "his" library. Will I have to re-upload the favourite music I own (on CD!) to my own library? CAN that even be done?

And can I even play my iTunes library from my phone? Or do I need to subscribe to Apple Music for that? I'm ready to pay for new music but I don't want to pay a monthly fee to just listen to my old stuff.

HAAAALP (please and thanks)

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on May 2, 2020 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 1:10 AM

Hey there!

Having your own Apple ID is certainly a great idea. You can see How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support for steps on creating your own Apple ID.

Then use the articles below to help with your CD's and sharing music with your husband.

1. Import music files from disk to Mac: Import songs from CDs into Music on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Sync music files onto iPhone: Sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod using your computer – Apple Support
  3. Set up Family Sharing so you and your husband can share each others music: Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

You won't need an Apple Music subscription to listen to your local music files (your "old stuff"). However, if you are looking at subscribing to Apple Music anyway, the music you used to listen to should already be on Apple Music anyway, saving you the hassle of having to get the music off disks etc.

Best of luck!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 1:10 AM in response to TicklyCuddly

Hey there!

Having your own Apple ID is certainly a great idea. You can see How to create a new Apple ID – Apple Support for steps on creating your own Apple ID.

Then use the articles below to help with your CD's and sharing music with your husband.

1. Import music files from disk to Mac: Import songs from CDs into Music on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Sync music files onto iPhone: Sync your iPhone, iPad or iPod using your computer – Apple Support
  3. Set up Family Sharing so you and your husband can share each others music: Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

You won't need an Apple Music subscription to listen to your local music files (your "old stuff"). However, if you are looking at subscribing to Apple Music anyway, the music you used to listen to should already be on Apple Music anyway, saving you the hassle of having to get the music off disks etc.

Best of luck!

Keep using husband's iTunes or get my own?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.