Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing Music with different iTunes settings

I upgraded my Music plan to the Family so wife & her mother can both use. But want to verify a couple things.

Wife & i both listen to same sort of music so any iTunes purchases we make we would like it synced to our appleid. Her mother though has her own iTunes account. She would like to stream Music via her Watch while walking, but we want her own iTunes downloads to be available to her only, not us, and we don't want her music showing in our Music library

Is this possible? I have looked through the settings in our iPods & it looks like we can use different accounts for the iTunes. And then there is a setting in Music for iCloud. Before i start adding accounts, i want to make sure there is way to keep our iTunes libraries separated.

It would be great if there were individual permissions per device/family member, instead of it being global across the entire service.

iPod Touch (6th Gen)

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 5:55 PM

With a family music subscription, everyone in the family group gets their own personal music library. Any individual can share their playlist (if they like) with someone else, but that is just the names of the songs and not the actual songs themselves.

See what friends are listening to in Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device - Apple Support

With Family Sharing, you can share iTunes Store purchases (with or without an Apple Music Family subscription). When you turn on purchase sharing, everyone in your family gets access to the music that family members buy, however you doin't have to download it to your device if you don't want to.

How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

Since everyone in a family group has their own unique Apple ID, they also have their own iTunes account, so that is a red herring. All the purchases can still be shared.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 5:55 PM in response to b-diggity

With a family music subscription, everyone in the family group gets their own personal music library. Any individual can share their playlist (if they like) with someone else, but that is just the names of the songs and not the actual songs themselves.

See what friends are listening to in Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android device - Apple Support

With Family Sharing, you can share iTunes Store purchases (with or without an Apple Music Family subscription). When you turn on purchase sharing, everyone in your family gets access to the music that family members buy, however you doin't have to download it to your device if you don't want to.

How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

Since everyone in a family group has their own unique Apple ID, they also have their own iTunes account, so that is a red herring. All the purchases can still be shared.

Jan 1, 2022 8:00 AM in response to javaliga

Thank you for the reply.

Wife & i both have Touch's that we used as our main source, but have started to use the Android app more. Her mom now has an iPhone13 & the Watch SE cellular. Wife & i sharing same iTunes account is no issue as I made the purchases anyway. My main goal is to not fill up her mom's Music view with all of our downloads.

I think the best thing for me to do is just get all 6 of our devices together & make slowly make changes to the settings to see if/how i can get the end result i am looking for.

Family Sharing Music with different iTunes settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.