Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combine two Contact lists one on Mac one on iPhone

I have used Contacts app (previously address book) on Mac for many years for my work contacts. My work contacts are divided into over 20 groups.

On my iPhone / iCloud I use Contacts app for my personal contacts. They are simply in one group.

The two are not connected.

I would like to combine these two seperate Contacts (so that I can back everything up on to iCloud, easily print out my personal contacts from my Mac and have my work contacts on my iPhone).

How do I combine these two seperate Contact lists (without risking loosing everthing)? And is it possible to have two groups: Work and Personal. Then inside the Work group, further groups (over 20)?

Many thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 2, 2020 2:40 AM

10 replies

May 3, 2020 8:09 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Take help of a web browser and enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in an iPhone , the contacts that were saved in will be visible select the desired contacts and click on gear icon in the left bottom corner and click on export as v card .

Open finder , click on downloads , right click on .vcf file and open with contacts .app( default ) .

The address book will get opened , a pop up window will appear stating are you sure you want to add number of cards , click on add .

Again open your address book the contacts that were in the iPhone will be transferred under the section “ All contacts “ in the Mac address book .

Sign out from www.icloud.com used with Apple ID and password for an iPhone .

Then enter in www.icloud.com with the apple id and password used in the Mac , click on gear icon and click on import as v card all the contacts will be transferred in the iCloud server , click on create group on the bottom right corner an untitled folder will be created in the side bar and the contacts from iOS are all transferred to the iCloud server account .

See some articles iCloud: Export a contact as a vCard from iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Import a contact into iCloud Contacts

iCloud: Create a group in iCloud Contacts

The contacts are in " All contacts " , there are 20 groups names " A " , " B " , " C " .............and having different contacts in each group .

You can select all contacts ( use command and A keys ) , copy them ( command and C keys ) , and paste over the " All contacts " ( use command and V keys ) , or drag and drop desired contacts from each group in " All contacts " , then connect a printer https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh14004/mac

But make sure you print from address book application / contact application that is synced with iCloud .

Also you can create work / home groups see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/contacts/adrb3280fe91/mac

Read this also to move contacts https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/contacts/adrbbb1811b7/mac

You won't loose any contacts as they are synced with iCloud from any group unless you delete them , its just dragging and dropping in the address book ( from one group to another or you move all of them in a single group or in " All contacts " .

May 3, 2020 10:00 AM in response to brenden dv

Hey !

The method you suggested is if both iPhone and Mac are signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network , the contacts created from google / yahoo accounts will not merge , if the same Apple ID say example1@icloud.com is signed in both devices then all contacts will merge .

Accordingly , Delete all of the contacts from iCloud.com. Note that this will have the effect of deleting them from the iPhone as well but it's a temporary thing.

The contacts will be deleted both from iPhone / Mac id Apple ID is say example1@icloud.com , suppose the id is example2@gmail.com all contacts with yahoo , hotmail , gmail services in iPhone will not completely sync .

The contacts that are in iCloud.com will completely sync .

Thats the reason exporting contacts as v card and then importing them is applied , in normal ways these methods are applied https://support.apple.com/en-bw/HT205754

The method I suggested in my post is for iPhone and Mac have different Apple ID and password , perhaps are on the same network .

Also op has written in the post - The two are not connected.

May 4, 2020 4:03 AM in response to Sparky Marky

As per the article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204174

How do I get the full set of iCloud features?

If you have an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, you can get the full set of iCloud features. Simply sign in to iCloud in Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or System Preferences on your Mac. You'll get immediate access to all iCloud features and 5GB of free storage. You can also choose additional storage plans from your device.

May 3, 2020 7:38 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Hello Sparky Marky and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I see you are trying to join up two disparate groups of contacts.

You can do this:

1) On the Mac, choose all contacts and then use the Export command to export that as a vCard. (Contacts > File > Export)

2) Save that file to the Mac

3) Go to iCloud.com on the Mac and sign in and open the Contacts app there.

4) Click on the Gear icon and choose the option to Import vCard

5) Navigate to the location where you saved the exported file and import it.

After you've done that, give things a little time for iCloud to sync on your device (if you've not already done so, you may need to go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and enable Contacts). This will give you access to all contacts on both devices assuming you enable contacts for iCloud on the Mac as well.

At this time, you can create as many groups as you like but sub-groups (i.e., groups within groups) are not supported.

Cheers.

May 3, 2020 9:37 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Hi Sparky Marky.

At this time, the vCard format is not going to maintain your groups. There is a workaround that may seem a bit convoluted, but it will get you where you're trying to go. Note that this assumes that the overriding need here is for your work contacts to be in their own group.

1) Assuming you are already using iCloud for your non-work contacts that emanate from the iPhone, start by going to iCloud.com on the Mac.

2) Choose all of the contacts, click the gear icon and export them as a vCard. Name the file something like iPhone Contacts and save it to the Mac.

3) Delete all of the contacts from iCloud.com. Note that this will have the effect of deleting them from the iPhone as well but it's a temporary thing.

4) Use the process outlined before to import just the Work contacts.

5) Use the + icon (to the right of the gear icon) to add a new group called Work and then drag and drop all of the contacts into that group. While you're here, you may want to add additional groups to get things close to how you presently have them organized on the Mac.

6) Once you have your work contacts set up the way you want them then, at that point, re-import the non-work contacts.

This process will result in a group called Work with just the contacts from the Mac and all of the contacts from both devices in iCloud and accessible from both devices.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

May 4, 2020 1:48 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Would the following work?

On my Mac I have 20 groups in my Contacts app, containing nearly 900 contacts. It will be serious pain if I have to manually remake these groups. So...

In iCloud I export my personal contacts (about 150 contacts) as vCards. I then import these into my Contacts app on my Mac. I presume they will be imported into an Imported folder, so that it will be easy for me to move them to a new group called 'Personal'. I then delete all my contacts from iCloud.

Then on my Mac I go to System Preferences > iCloud > turn on Contacts

Presumably then my Mac Contacts will be synched via iCloud with my iPhone. Job done?

May 4, 2020 3:42 AM in response to Sparky Marky

It seems you don't have an gmail account in system preferences >internet accounts.

If a gmail account is created , and its mail address and password is same as Apple ID and password , and then Apple ID is signed in Mac iCloud , the gmail account is connected to iCloud .

Then , you can simultaneously use gmail account and an iCloud account , and you don't need to sync contacts ( they will get automatically synced when contacts box is by default checked .

The iPhone will only sync when signed in with same apple id and password it will not sync automatically , you have to personally do it , the box of contacts in the phone must be checked .

All contacts - contains the entire address book contacts stored in iCloud server ( the address book is mixture of gmail contacts + the contacts in various groups ) , you don't need to delete contacts from All contacts in iCloud , rather drag and drop in what ever group you desire say " you create a group named personal " .

Combine two Contact lists one on Mac one on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.