Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware Test on 2009 MacBook Pro running El Capitain

Hi

I have a Early 2009 - 17-inch - MacBook Pro (2.66 ghz) - running El Capitain 10.11.6.

I want to run the Hardware Test & understand that I need to do it from the original software disks - which I have both of.

However - I've looked on the web & the suggestion is I need to hold down "D" whilst restarting and that'll initiate the process. I've tried that with both disks & it doesn't work. Also - tried holding down the "Option key" - no dice.

I'm wondering if - by installing El Capitain I've rendered the booting from disk process redundant? Or if I'm just missing something obvious.

Questions are:

How do I boot from the software disk?

Which disk do I use - 1 or 2?

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 2, 2020 6:46 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

May 2, 2020 7:21 AM in response to ebgt

Apple Hardware test isn't the most sensitive anyway. If it reports a problem you can be pretty sure there is one, but just because it reports no problem doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

Please post a screenshot of the issue, that will isolate whether it is a display problem or the GPU.

To post the screenshot use the "Image Insertion" icon at the bottom of your reply window.

Hardware Test on 2009 MacBook Pro running El Capitain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.