Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2020 - Screen Protector

Is anyone having problems applying their screen protectors to the new iPhone SE 2020.

I consider myself an expert at applying screen protectors, having very little tolerance for air bubbles.

HOWEVER, today I’ve gone through four glass screen protectors, all failing to apply around the outer edge.

Apple quote that the SE is identical casing and screen to the iPhone 8, however I have now doubting this.

Looking for some answers.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on May 2, 2020 9:52 AM

49 replies

May 20, 2020 12:01 AM in response to 2witch

I am yet to find a glass protector to work, apparently the issue isn’t present on all 2020 SE which I find very odd. They may have switched screen manufacturers half way through production?

A number of manufacturers are working on glass protectors to fit the 2020. In the meantime the best fit protector I have found is from media devil.

https://mediadevil.com/products/apple-iphone-se-8-7-screen-protector-glass-free

Jul 7, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Joe93uk

Hi Thanks for this.

Its a non Glass protector, much like the tough film versions I have tried for the apple watch and fit bits that repair themselves (slightly).

These will always work as they bend the curved edge. Only issue is do I get the wife this with little protection from heavy drops or a normal Glass and she puts up with the Halo effect?

Thanks for the advice. Great looking iPhone in RED!

May 2, 2020 6:42 PM in response to Joe93uk

I’ve had the very same issue using a no name cheap protector, a Belkin Screen Force, and finally a Spigen GLAStR.

All have the same halo around the edges.

It would be a huge coincidence indeed if three different brands all failed in an identical manner.

There must be a subtle difference in the edge bevel of the new screens.

May 11, 2020 7:42 AM in response to 2witch

Per an email exchange with Spigen customer support, they are aware of this issue and are working with their suppliers to have new SE 2020 specific protectors available. Response below.

“We strive to make sure you are getting the most quality item and we do sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. Our product development team is actively working to improve the screen protector and in the near future, we should have a better fitting screen protector for iPhone SE 2020 available to purchase.”

In the meantime, it appears that the options are live with the halo or bareback it.

May 19, 2020 6:02 PM in response to Joe93uk

Same here! I changed three different kind protectors, then all go wrong the same! Babbles all around the screen..... I peeled it off and put on my iPhone 8 again it went on perfectly! I think it is safe to say the SE’s screen is not quite the same with 8 !

Unless apple come out specific screen protector for the new SE, I guess just no glass kind protector for this phone then....

May 19, 2020 11:58 PM in response to Athenalia

I haven’t been able to get a glass protector to work to date.

the best I’ve found current is from media devil: https://mediadevil.com/products/apple-iphone-se-8-7-screen-protector-glass-free

my preference is however a glass protector, apparently a number of manufacturers are working on updated protectors for the iPhone SE 2020, but we’ll have to wait for these.

Jun 19, 2020 4:03 AM in response to Joe93uk

I have had the same problem. I have found screen protector that actually fits, (a Jetech full screen black and clear one), but I have discovered that because the screen of the new iPhone SE 2 is actually raised so therefore higher than the outer case when you put one on, it gets damaged very quickly anyway! I am gutted that this curved edge and raised screen is causing such issues and we are all gonna get through screen protectors at a fast rate. And of course in waiting for new protectors and a case to arrive I have gained a small scratch on the actual screen!!!

The only way forward I can see is to order another complete screen protector and have the phone in a flip around cover, to give it as much protection as possible. First ever Apple product I am really disappointed with, I want my iPhone 8 back!!

Jun 19, 2020 7:16 AM in response to ShazzaS

After many false starts with other products that claimed to fit the Iphone SE 2020, I purchased an MP-MALL screen protector for $9.99 from Amazon specifically designed for the SE 2020. The installation video was clear and easy to follow and the protector went on without any irritating bubbles. I highly recommend it. See the product description below.

[3 Pack] MP-MALL Screen Protector for Apple iPhone SE 2020 / iPhone SE 2

(4.7 inch), [Alignment Frame Easy Installation] [Case Friendly]

Anti-Scratch Tempered Glass (Not Fit for iPhone 6/7/8)

$9.99

Jun 26, 2020 6:51 PM in response to Joe93uk

After multiple failed attempts to eliminate the halo effect from a screen protector I purchased on Amazon supposedly for the new iPhone SE 2020, I took a chance and spent the $39.95 on the Belkin protector sponsored on Apple’s website. This morning I put it on and it’s perfect. No halo effect and it adheres perfectly around the edges. It is noticeably smaller than the other screen protectors I tried, probably by a millimeter, eliminating any issues with adhesion at the edges of the phone’s screen.

Jul 7, 2020 5:12 AM in response to Joe93uk

Hoi

I had this with my iPhone 6s, so much that I eventually gave up and went for the best PET protector in the spigen plastic.

However with the iPhone 7, iPhone 7+ iPhone 8 (Not all mine!) Normal Glass protectors fit fine.

So IPHONE SE 2020 product red ......

Same issues as iPhone 6s, Halo time!

Looked about including this review and found that OMOTON 4 pack give no Halo effect .... YES I thought. £6.29 on Amazon.

Then I turned on the mobile and the white screen refracted on the edge of the protector and gave a prism or rainbow effect!!

NOOOOO! We nearly had it made. Of course Dark mode helps massively, but we don't always have this, such as camera and other non dark apps.

So I sent them back.

Where now? I simply can't buy lots of screen protectors to try and send back. IS there a list anywhere?

I did look at full protectors with Black edges but these aren't always case friendly and lift the protector off the screen.

For something so simple why do these companies not test these to see the issues? would 1/2mm on the OMOTON version stopped the rainbow or is it the curved 2.5D edge?

Like yourself I am lost for now.

Went to Poundland and bought a £1 glass 'protect and preserve'. yes its cheap, yes it still has a halo, but its fine until this issue has been resolved.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2020 5:18 AM in response to RKGB

Hello!

i have the SE red edition also, actually I’ve had two as my first one was replaced by apple as the screen kept malfunctioning.

And indeed, the halo effect is present on both handsets I have held. This leads me to think that the issue is much bigger than I first thought.

I have given up on glass protectors, and the only protector I have find to date that works is from Media Devil. Link below:

https://mediadevil.com/products/apple-iphone-se-8-7-screen-protector-glass-free

I found this a little tricky to apply, however I’ve found it a good protector & their customer service is great.

Good luck and hope this protector works for you.

Jul 7, 2020 5:32 AM in response to RKGB

Hi, no worries! I hope you find a solution

I would note that this protectors credentials differ from the standard film protectors I’ve come across before.

“Developed in close collaboration with a British advanced materials company.  It is thinner than tempered glass, yet provides the same 9H hardness and impact protection. It contains no glass at all and therefore cannot crack.”

For me it’s been great in combination with a case that adds light raised protection around edges to act as a buffer at first impact. (I’m using a mous case).

Good luck and enjoy it the iPhone!

Jul 8, 2020 10:17 PM in response to Joe93uk

The reason is that Apple intentionally made extra curve at the edges. I just got SE 2020 because I got cheated by Apple and T-Mobile for Old SE. Never buy any protector that say 8,7, SE etc. Make sure it is strictly SE 2020 only.

iPhone SE 2020 - Screen Protector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.