Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hitachi Ultravision TV Guide —12 years old—HDMI input?

Hi,

I have a Hitachi Ultravision TV Guide TV monitor with no HDMI input ports, only component ports. The menu display’s INPUT options are greyed out— only VIDEO, PHOTO, CABLE etc are selectable.

My old Onkyo receiver has HDMI input options (1,2, and 3) for DVD, VCR, AUX and CBL. I’ve set up Apple TV, and it’s plugged in. The cable goes into a nest of cables behind the media cabinet which go into the wall, and, presumably are connected through the attic to the TV monitor. (I’m renting a furnished house, so I don’t know.)

Nothing happens when I press the Apple TV remote control or the Hitachi remote control (except a lighting up of the latter, so I know it works).

Any ideas? Which HDMI to component converter do I use and will it affect the video? Or is it possible (as the landlord’s son suggested) that ATV HDMI is encrypted to not communicate with component well, or at all?

Posted on May 2, 2020 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 11:06 AM

While you can use an adapter and you should directly see the Apple TV's main screen, most content on Apple TV, including iTunes content, Netflix, etc... will be HDCP protected, and as a such require an HDCP compliant display, this means going over component which is analog, will likely result in an error message such as:

So, while you may be able to get the Apple TV to display on a non digital HDCP compliant display, its going to be very limited in what it can actually play, so likely not worth it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2020 11:06 AM in response to sabine226

While you can use an adapter and you should directly see the Apple TV's main screen, most content on Apple TV, including iTunes content, Netflix, etc... will be HDCP protected, and as a such require an HDCP compliant display, this means going over component which is analog, will likely result in an error message such as:

So, while you may be able to get the Apple TV to display on a non digital HDCP compliant display, its going to be very limited in what it can actually play, so likely not worth it.

Hitachi Ultravision TV Guide —12 years old—HDMI input?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.