Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic keyboard add alternative language not working when selected on iPad for typing

Dear Apple Community,

My iPad Pro is behaving strange after adding Magic keyboard with the latest update 13.4.1 for Adding alternative language. When I add Bulgarian (Phonetic) it is not recognized by the hardware keyboard and it is behaving as Bulgarian (Standard) which is by default i suppose. It cannot be changed even if i add both Bulgarian (Standard) and Bulgarian (Phonetic). FYI Bulgarian (Phonetic) is preferable character mapping for typing.

You can check to reproduce the problem:

1. -add both Bulgarian keyboards (Standard and Phonetic)
  2. -turn on magic keyboard and try to switch between keyboards - you can see that there is no difference in the characters
  3. -turn off magic keyboard and press the same characters on the screen, once in (standard) and once in (phonetic) - you can see that there is difference in the characters.

Please help me resolving this issue. I want to use it as Phonetic typing keyboard.

Thank you!

Regards,

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on May 2, 2020 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 1:06 PM

I found the solution:

1. Turn on Magic keyboard
  2. After adding Bulgarian (no matter Standard or Phonetic)
  3. Go to General/Keyboards/Hardware Keyboards
  4. Select from the menu and change from Bulgarian (Automatic) to - (Phonetic)

image attached

Fixed and working,

Best regards,

Similar questions

2 replies

Magic keyboard add alternative language not working when selected on iPad for typing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.