Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting to MP3 format

Up until recently I was able to download music and then convert it to MP3 format to play in my car, which is several years old and is not able to play MP4 format. I recently tried to convert by going to "file" and thento the "convert" tab and the MP3 was there. Now it is not and al, I have access to is "create AAC version". Is there any way to get MP4 into MP3 format using windows?

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 3, 2020 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 11:12 AM

Yes. That setting is determined by the import CD setting. Odd, I know - bizarre even. But that's the way t is.

Go to Edit/Preferences/General>Import Settings and change the Import Using from AAC Encoder to MP3 Encoder. (In case that's not clear, Import Settings is near the bottom of the General tab).

That's it. You will now find that the File/Convert option states Create MP3 Version.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 11:12 AM in response to Mumsy123

Yes. That setting is determined by the import CD setting. Odd, I know - bizarre even. But that's the way t is.

Go to Edit/Preferences/General>Import Settings and change the Import Using from AAC Encoder to MP3 Encoder. (In case that's not clear, Import Settings is near the bottom of the General tab).

That's it. You will now find that the File/Convert option states Create MP3 Version.

Jul 6, 2020 12:37 PM in response to tingodmusic

tingodmusic wrote:

This did not work for me. All "Convert" options are still grayed out.

Do you actually have a song selected? If so, does it come under any of the headings mentioned by tt2?

• I opened my iTunes, which showed the Songs view. Both Convert ID3 Tags and Create MP3 Version were enabled (black)
  • I switched to the Albums view and all convert options were greyed out
  • I switched back to the Songs view and all convert options were greyed out:

In the last case, this is because no song was selected. I did not check to see what was selected on the first two occasions.

Jun 5, 2020 4:56 AM in response to Craig9812

You cannot convert protected media, or anything that is in the cloud. Old school 128k protected AAC music purchases (2009 or earlier) can potentially be burned to CD and then ripped back as unprotected files. Content from an Apple Music subscription cannot be used outside of Apple's software and hardware, and then only while your subscription remains active.

tt2

Converting to MP3 format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.