Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Network in my Finder

Hey community, here is my problem:

When I open my finder I saw that just now there popped up an unknown network called 'smith'.

I have seen the network coming up before, but never thought anything of it so never checked it.

Here is no network or Wifi other than my own near me, nor a printer device etc.

I do not have a lot of data on my macbook air itself, but I did have some issues with hackers in one of my e-mail accounts.

How can I block this?

Guest user box was never ticked anyway.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 1:09 PM

It's not a network. It's a PC (for Personal Computer, not a Mac) advertising sharing services on the same network as your Mac.

It cannot be blocked, but you can hide devices. Position your cursor just to the right of Locations in that Network windows sidebar. Hide will appear. Click it. They will no longer appear.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 1:09 PM in response to khaleesij

It's not a network. It's a PC (for Personal Computer, not a Mac) advertising sharing services on the same network as your Mac.

It cannot be blocked, but you can hide devices. Position your cursor just to the right of Locations in that Network windows sidebar. Hide will appear. Click it. They will no longer appear.

May 3, 2020 1:35 PM in response to khaleesij

I want to but a new MacBook Air but am uncertain that I can understand your online help screens. I have many questions about setting it up, connecting with the new Thunderbolt to my in house router without a computer, etc , charging with it, so many questions. I’m 82, no techie and was hoping to make an appointment with the Genius Bar as I’ve done in the past but there’s no access because of COVID-19 which I completely agree with. Should I wait until you’re open again and buy it directly from the Apple store with aGenius appointment? Sorry, please edit. Thank you, Marlene

May 4, 2020 6:54 AM in response to Marlene Lazzara

Marlene Lazzara wrote:
Should I wait until you’re open again and buy it directly from the Apple store with aGenius appointment?

Apple does not participate on this site Marlene. If you want to buy a new MacBook Air, or you already bought one and need help with it, Apple offers 90 days of telephone or chat support completely free as part of your purchase.

They will send you an email with instructions to schedule a session with them, or start here: Contact Support.

Unknown Network in my Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.