Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie output file is unreasonably large

Hello, I have a problem of using iMovie on Mac. I used it to edit videos, and the exporting file size gets too large. I used OBS to record videos, the original video(1920 * 1080, 1 min 8 s) occupies 22.6MB, and exported video(1920 * 1080, 1 min 1 s) gets 154MB. The editing I did is just removing the parts that show clicking start recording button, no other things added. The output size should be smaller, because I cut part of it. How is it possible? Any solutions?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 3, 2020 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2020 4:32 PM

Hello!

Open your source video in QuickTime. Select Window>Open Movie Inspector (if already not open) and save source video info.

Something like this:

Then try to select same video parameters in iMovie export window, like this:

and you will see very near values of source and output video file volumes.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2020 4:32 PM in response to Woody9914

Hello!

Open your source video in QuickTime. Select Window>Open Movie Inspector (if already not open) and save source video info.

Something like this:

Then try to select same video parameters in iMovie export window, like this:

and you will see very near values of source and output video file volumes.

May 3, 2020 5:33 PM in response to Woody9914

In addition to duration of the movie, file size is determined by how high the bitrate, the frame rate, the original size of the file, the format used for export, the compression, the resolution, the complexity of the movie and its edits. You can vary any of the above to reduce file size, (lower the bitrate, original file size, frame rate, complexity, and/or increase the compression -- although I would not recommend fooling with the frame rate.

If you export at Best Quality (pro res) for example you will get a .mov file that is 4x file size than an Mp4 export due to the much higher bitrate with pro res and much less compression. Therefore if you export the same movie at any setting other than Best Quality (pro res) iMovie will render a an Mp4 file of much smaller file size.

In your case the original video clip may have been highly compressed. When iMovie unpacks it for editing it may then export it at iMovie's compression rate, that may have been lower than your original clip, thus larger file size. The bitrate might also have been higher than that of your original clip, again increasing file size.

-- Rich

iMovie output file is unreasonably large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.