Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video cut short when exporting to file

I'm trying to export a video from iMovie to a flash drive (blank 32 GB and 64 GB with other videos export from iMovie). The video is about 32 minutes long (4.81 GB, MPEG - 4 Movie). When I do, it cuts off the last couple minutes of video. Still shows as 32:06 but quits playing around 29 minutes (cuts off the last couple minutes).

I've exported file to desktop on MacBook without any issues. I've tried to drag that file to both flash drives but get this message: "The item “2022 Highlight Film.mp4” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume’s format."

Any suggestions on either issue (video being cut short when exporting directly to flash drive or why I can't drag a 4.81 GB file onto a 32 or 64 GB flash drive)?

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2022 9:49 AM

Hi, Mid-Mo,

It appears that your flash drive is formatted FAT 32, that is a Windows format. FAT 32 has a 4 GB file limitation no matter how large the overall capacity of the disk may be. The solution is to reformat your flash drive to EX FAT or to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). EX FAT would be the best choice because it is compatible with both Apple and Windows systems. You just couldn't store an iMovie library or Photos library on it. You would need Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for that.

You can reformat your flash drive with the Disk Utility app on your Mac. Be aware that reformatting a drive erases all of the data on it. So, first back up or remove all data on the drive that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2022 9:49 AM in response to Mid-Mo

Hi, Mid-Mo,

It appears that your flash drive is formatted FAT 32, that is a Windows format. FAT 32 has a 4 GB file limitation no matter how large the overall capacity of the disk may be. The solution is to reformat your flash drive to EX FAT or to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). EX FAT would be the best choice because it is compatible with both Apple and Windows systems. You just couldn't store an iMovie library or Photos library on it. You would need Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for that.

You can reformat your flash drive with the Disk Utility app on your Mac. Be aware that reformatting a drive erases all of the data on it. So, first back up or remove all data on the drive that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Video cut short when exporting to file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.