Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brand new MacBook Air is making a loud fan noise.

My brand new MacBook Air, literally I just got it yesterday, is making a loud fan noise. Is something wrong with it? Can I return it?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 4, 2020 7:59 AM

11 replies

May 4, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Jedi88

Products purchased through physical Official Apple Store, including online Official Apple Store

usually have 14-day return grace from date of purchase for full refund; forgoing any damages.

Other sources of authorized Apple purchase, are usually 'independent business' with resale; and

some perhaps, may offer repair service too; and have their own in-house rules. They're not Apple.

So depending on where you bought the Apple product, your mileage may vary. Also limits on

product warranty could also differ. ~ Where did you buy this product? Details are important.

May 4, 2020 1:20 PM in response to K Shaffer

I bought it from online Official Apple Store. I ordered it on April 26, 2020 and received it on May 1. I didn't open the box until 5/2. On 5/3, yesterday, I only had Safari open and it started to make loud jet engine sound. I was afraid to use it any longer so I closed Safari and put the computer to sleep and closed the lid. The noise stopped. Then, as soon as I opened the lid this morning and logged on, the noise started again. I didn't use it and left it alone, and adventually the noise stopped.

May 4, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Jedi88

What are you doing with the device? If you are running several large applications (like Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Final Cut Pro) at the same time, your computer will make a moderately loud fanning noise, as it's cooling down. Otherwise, this could be an issue regarding your actual computer, and you should go to an Apple store to check it out. As mentioned in other posts, if you actually bought it from Apple, they can help you a lot more then if you bought it from a third party store.

Jun 2, 2020 3:49 PM in response to junebugg33

In case you do not get a better response, please make sure you are not sitting the MacBook on top of any "soft" surface like a blanket or pile carpeting. It can block the ventilation system components that hug the sides of the unit. That can increase the internal heat and the fans might come on to keep your Mac hopefully as cool as the user. :-)

There are other options to reset the hardware if the fans come on too often without good reason, but since these are new, it is unlikely you need to do that for this issue.

My brand new MacBook Air is making a loud fan noise.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.