Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

argh no ... it's back! The macOS freeze when an external monitor is hooked up

After upgrading to Catalina a while ago my machine started freezing. Turns out this was a common problem as many users with an external display reported this, especially once the screen saver kicked in the likelihood of a freeze and the dreaded watchdogd timeout increased.

And of course I was so naive thinking Apple would not let that happen again. But this time it's even worse - after installing 10.15.4 the machine will very reliably completely freeze within about 15 minutes when hooked up to an external display (and eGPU), also when not idle/no screensaver.

When not hooked up to the external monitor it looks like things are working.

MacBook Air

Posted on May 4, 2020 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 7:27 AM

macuseramsterdam wrote:

After upgrading to Catalina a while ago my machine started freezing. Turns out this was a common problem as many users with an external display reported this, especially once the screen saver kicked in the likelihood of a freeze and the dreaded watchdogd timeout increased.

And of course I was so naive thinking Apple would not let that happen again. But this time it's even worse - after installing 10.15.4 the machine will very reliably completely freeze within about 15 minutes when hooked up to an external display (and eGPU), also when not idle/no screensaver.

Verify you also installed the supplemental

Download macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2038?locale=en_US

Customer support Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2020 7:27 AM in response to macuseramsterdam

macuseramsterdam wrote:

Verify you also installed the supplemental

Download macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2038?locale=en_US

Customer support Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

argh no ... it's back! The macOS freeze when an external monitor is hooked up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.