Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor freezes in MacStudio. (Clash in certain apps?)

I am using 3 monitors connected to MacStudio. After updating macOS 12.4, my monitor screen freezes several times a day.

When I turn the monitor off and on again, it works without any problem, but it often freezes again. This is happening with all 3 monitors.

After using this for a few days, I noticed something peculiar. This phenomenon almost always occurs when using the Unity 3D Engine. It didn't happen when using Photoshop.

What I'm guessing is that the error on macOS seems to work when using certain GPU related features in Unity 3D.

I don't see this as an issue with Unity 3D. On macOS 12.3 there was no problem.

The version of Unity 3D is 2021.3.2f1. The same thing happens with lower versions.

We would appreciate a quick review of this phenomenon.

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 7:51 PM

What needs to happen to fix it is to come up with a small set of stuff that causes the issue almost every time.

Then it can be replicated in an Engineering lab at Apple. There, they can drag over a bunch of hot-shot equipment and find out exactly what is happening and why. Then it can get fixed.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 8, 2022 12:24 AM in response to doyongid

I am having this same issue since the update to macOS 12.4. I gave two displays, one the Studio Display, there other an Acer that I have used for years with no issue and with the Mac Studio with no problems before the 12.4 update. The Studio Display image freezes, though I can still interact "behind" the image, but it takes resetting the display by either unplugging then plugging it back in or changing the display settings (which resets the display).

Help!

Jun 8, 2022 6:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes. Both OSX and the display firmware are up to date. Swapping to the other display, as others have noted, results in the same issue, just on the other display (in my case an Acer XB270HU). To ensure that it isn't hardware related, I ran the Apple Diagnostics which came back with no issues. I have also changed the ports the displays are plugged into and tried different combinations like ports 1 and 3, 2 and 4 etc. It's pretty frustrating...

Jun 8, 2022 7:39 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Since it's a game development tool, it can do a lot of I/O in some cases. Two monitors are connected via HDMI and USB-C, and Thunderbolt is connected to storage. The storage has a DP port, so you can connect it to the rest of the monitors.

The reason why it is difficult to see this as a software problem is that it worked normally in macOS 12.3.

Jun 8, 2022 7:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

In the text, it is said that it also occurs in versions lower than Unity3D 2021.3.2f1, but I can't remember for sure. Maybe in older versions of Unity running on Rosetta it seems to work fine. Unity, which is causing problems right now, is believed to be the silicon version.

However, this does not appear to be a Unity problem. It appears to be a bug in macOS.

Monitor freezes in MacStudio. (Clash in certain apps?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.