You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign in to a different primary iCloud Account

This is driving me nuts. I have a MacBook Pro that is signed in to iCloud with account xxx. I have a Mac Mini that Is signed in with iCloud account YYY. Yes, I screwed up when I built the mini - I should have used xxx, but that was my bad. So, because they have different iCloud settings, I cannot share my Pages documents between them. I want the Mac Mini to also sign in to iCloud with account xxx. Both are running current incarnations of Catalina.

I have done a bazillion Google searches on how to sign out of a primary iCloud account and back in with another, but it simply does not work on my mini. I click on the Apple logo at the upper left corner and go to System Preferences.... then the Apple ID icon at the top right corner. There I click on Overview, and Sign Out. It asks if I want to keep a copy of my iCloud data for Contacts and Calendars. I click on Keep a Copy, and then it just gives me a list of all the apps using iCloud on that machine. It still shows me as being signed with the yyy account. Nowhere does it show me a place where I can log in with the xxx account.

What am I doing wrong here?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 4, 2020 3:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 7:25 AM

W6JHB wrote:

This is driving me nuts. I have a MacBook Pro that is signed in to iCloud with account xxx. I have a Mac Mini that Is signed in with iCloud account YYY. Yes, I screwed up when I built the mini - I should have used xxx, but that was my bad. So, because they have different iCloud settings, I cannot share my Pages documents between them. I want the Mac Mini to also sign in to iCloud with account xxx. Both are running current incarnations of Catalina.

I have done a bazillion Google searches on how to sign out of a primary iCloud account and back in with another, but it simply does not work on my mini. I click on the Apple logo at the upper left corner and go to System Preferences.... then the Apple ID icon at the top right corner. There I click on Overview, and Sign Out. It asks if I want to keep a copy of my iCloud data for Contacts and Calendars. I click on Keep a Copy, and then it just gives me a list of all the apps using iCloud on that machine. It still shows me as being signed with the yyy account. Nowhere does it show me a place where I can log in with the xxx account.

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV ...

Sign in to your Apple ID preferences on Mac - Apple Support

customer support Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2020 7:25 AM in response to W6JHB

W6JHB wrote:

Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV ...

Sign in to your Apple ID preferences on Mac - Apple Support

customer support Call (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

May 5, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Stampguy

Stampguy wrote:

Can I assume that I can remain signed in on the MacBook Pro, which is using the "xxx" account that I really want, and need to do the sign out on any device that has the "yyy" account as the primary?

Jim

Yes, I do not know how else to say it.

If you want your devices to sync you need to be signed in with the same AppleID on all those devices

Sign in to a different primary iCloud Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.