Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac running Catalina having shutdown problems and constantly restarts

I see some old posts relating to this which sound similar issue but can't see any solutions. Does anyone have advice? Hangs on shutdown, often seems that it is ok but next morning I find it has restarted and asks to send an error message to Apple which I have done on multiple occasions. Can't see what the problem is. Check everything has shut down - only thing running in background is a WD HD which time machine uses for back ups.

Starting to really annoy me

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 5, 2020 3:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 4:58 AM

Fiona-123 wrote:

I see some old posts relating to this which sound similar issue but can't see any solutions. Does anyone have advice? Hangs on shutdown, often seems that it is ok but next morning I find it has restarted and asks to send an error message to Apple which I have done on multiple occasions. Can't see what the problem is. Check everything has shut down - only thing running in background is a WD HD which time machine uses for back ups.

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

If you are still having issues—

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access", with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system. _No_ personal information is revealed.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2020 4:58 AM in response to Fiona-123

Fiona-123 wrote:

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

If you are still having issues—

To get a good look at your System config. for conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

You can set its preference to "Allow full Disk Access", with this you get a digest of issues from the last 7 days that are saved in your system. _No_ personal information is revealed.

May 5, 2020 7:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks Leroy

I have downloaded and run it now and have the full report after allowing full disk access - although I see it says it was disabled here so not sure why that is. I can see it's not a happy machine which I kind of knew. To my knowledge there is no antivirus now installed so that's a worry. I'll try to shutdown and restart and run again before posting the report in the hope that it might go to full disk access that way

iMac running Catalina having shutdown problems and constantly restarts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.