Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC/Outlook recipients complain about Mac Mail attaching blank untitledattachment*.htm files to emails

How do I prevent Outlook users receiving "untitledattachment*.htm" files when I send from Mac Mail? It seems to attach one blank untitledattachment*.htm file per attachment, whether I'm sending an attachment or if I'm forwarding an email that may have had attachments (jpegs in email signatures, not belonging to me). I have set my preferences to send windows-friendly attachments and to insert attachments at the end of the email. I can't find a recent discussion on this.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on May 5, 2020 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2020 7:40 AM

Thanks but you have misunderstood my query. I'm not asking about VCF files or signatures. I'm talking about the superfluous, blank and completely useful *.htm files that get attached to my emails. See attached

Similar questions

8 replies

May 5, 2020 7:06 AM in response to SamLC

I have also seen in the past that Outlook often attaches a separate VCF contact file as a signature when observed from other email clients. This poses a real problem for some virus utilities that scan for email attachments.

The best thing to do is ask that people edit their email settings to send plain text and MIME attachments.

The other standards used in email are not universal.

May 5, 2020 7:53 AM in response to a brody

Sorry, I don't understand you mean. My email is set up to send as plain text. If I attach one attachment, the other non-Mac people will get my attachment (whether *.docx, *.pdf etc) plus a untitledattachment1234.htm (for example.) I need to make this stop. I'm being made to look like a fool.

PC/Outlook recipients complain about Mac Mail attaching blank untitledattachment*.htm files to emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.