Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounting AFP or SMB shares over internet

From 2000 - 2015 I had a G4 running OSX Server version 10.5.

It had user accounts for each of my clients. They could mount the server over the internet by typing in afp://myurl.tld:548. They would be met with a standard login dialog box and would enter their unique username and password. Their shared volume would appear as an icon on their desktop as though they were on the local network.

I've tried to do this many time with the current OSX and it won't allow it.

Funny thing is.....With a lot of extra time on my hands due to Covid I set the old G4 up at my office the other day and it worked fine. I was able to mount the server from home over the internet using afp.

Any ideas why the newer OSX won't allow it? Is there a workaround. It's such a great way to work with files like InDesign where I can open up files over the internet and work away as though I were in my office.

I have 1GBe fibre connections at both locations so it's theoretically it would be close to the same speed as being in my office.

Any ideas? I though my ISP may have been blocking port 548 that is for AFP but the fact that I could connect using the old G4 as the server tells me that port 548 is working fine.

Any real & on topic ideas?

Posted on May 5, 2020 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 6:18 AM

_YYZ wrote:

It had user accounts for each of my clients. They could mount the server over the internet by typing in afp://myurl.tld:548. They would be met with a standard login dialog box and would enter their unique username and password. Their shared volume would appear as an icon on their desktop as though they were on the local network.

Funny thing is.....With a lot of extra time on my hands due to Covid I set the old G4 up at my office the other day and it worked fine. I was able to mount the server from home over the internet using afp.

Any ideas why the newer OSX won't allow it? Is there a workaround. It's such a great way to work with files like InDesign where I can open up files over the internet and work away as though I were in my office.

I have 1GBe fibre connections at both locations so it's theoretically it would be close to the same speed as being in my office.

Any ideas? I though my ISP may have been blocking port 548 that is for AFP but the fact that I could connect using the old G4 as the server tells me that port 548 is working fine.

See if there is anything here:

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Share files on your Mac with other devices - Apple Support

Set the protocol for file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2020 6:18 AM in response to _YYZ

_YYZ wrote:

See if there is anything here:

Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Share files on your Mac with other devices - Apple Support

Set the protocol for file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

Mounting AFP or SMB shares over internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.