Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air won't stay down

Can I limit my MBA to just the power button for startup? I found a Terminal command to disable the startup when the lid is opened, but would like to limit booting to just the power key. I use compressed air to clean my keyboard (already have a repeating "E" key). It causes the computer to startup.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 6, 2020 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 7:23 AM

I understand your question, but the answer is no. NVRAM variables exist to alter startup behavior but if there is one that will accomplish what you seek I can't find it.

You can certainly forward your concern to Apple: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

4 replies

May 6, 2020 7:32 PM in response to docfi

Hello docfi,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about your MacBook Air. I believe you are only sleeping the computer, instead of fully powering it off.

1. When you close the lid, the computer will go to sleep. This article talks about some different options: Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac - Apple Support

"Put your Mac to sleep

You can save energy by putting your Mac to sleep when you're not using it. When your Mac is sleeping, it's on but consumes less power. And waking your Mac from sleep is quicker than starting it up after it's been shut down.

To put your Mac to sleep immediately, do one of the following:

• Choose Apple () menu > Sleep.
  • If you use a Mac notebook computer, close its built-in display.
  • Press Command (⌘)–Media Eject (⏏).*
  • Tap the power button on your computer.*

*These options don't apply to MacBook Pro models with Touch ID."

2. To fully power your Mac off, there are a few options depending on the model, but the most common way is to click the Apple top left of the Menu Bar, and then click shutdown. How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support

3. If interested, there may be other options or features available which can be used for different things: How Power Nap works on your Mac - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

May 7, 2020 6:26 AM in response to sterling r

Thank you for the reply.

I am using Shut Down... from the Apple menu. After my MBA shuts down I can tap any key on the keyboard and it boots up. This Mac is the first one that I've owned that does that. Would like to disable that feature (bug?) Would like powering up to occur only when the power key (touch id) is pressed.

MacBook Air won't stay down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.