Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Air M2 2023 startup and shutdown

If we are unable to STOP a MacBook Air 2023, my laptop, from starting up when I open the lid.

Does it go into hibernation mode when I close the lid?

AND if I shutdown does it actually power-off ???

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 18, 2023 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2023 6:00 AM

dok1 wrote:

If we are unable to STOP a MacBook Air 2023, my laptop, from starting up when I open the lid.

That is part of the hardware design as a majority of people want that. There is no way to disable it.

Closing the MacBook Air while it is on, will put the MacBook Air to sleep and will wake up when opening the cover.

Yes for the most part. There is still a tiny amount of power used for some of the sensor circuits but this is a tiny amount compared to when it is running.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2023 6:00 AM in response to dok1

dok1 wrote:

That is part of the hardware design as a majority of people want that. There is no way to disable it.

Closing the MacBook Air while it is on, will put the MacBook Air to sleep and will wake up when opening the cover.

Yes for the most part. There is still a tiny amount of power used for some of the sensor circuits but this is a tiny amount compared to when it is running.

May 15, 2024 8:23 AM in response to woodmeister50

Yeah, it would be good if Apple stopped this micromanaging. Who cares what the majority wants? I expect they would also cater to professional users, not just those using their Apple products for fun and secret work.

This function is super bad for anyone who is forced to f.e. use an external drive, which is the majority of pro users, due to the lack of, again, Apple not giving you enough customisable options when it comes to drives.

I do not want to have my laptop starting whenever Apple decides so because I cannot plug in my drive and other devices when apps already start opening up that are dependent on them. And no matter what I do, I cannot fully prevent my apps from starting on the new Mac models... So Apple is, for me, incredibly insulting and I prefer using Windows environment, where I have a much better control over MY OWN PROPERTY. With Macs, I feel I (over)paid for it, but Apple owns and runs it how they like it...

So, Macs are glorified secretary devices, sorry to say, and this is solely due to Apple's policies. Apple, get out of our way, please.

MacBook Air M2 2023 startup and shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.