Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I go to sync this iPod Touch with the Music App does it say, "iPod can not be synced because there is not enough room."

Why all of a sudden when I go to sync this iPod Touch with the Music App does it say, "iPod can not be synced because there is not enough room." It plainly shows that there are 16.3 GB free space and I am only adding one new playlist. I have restarted the iMac and the iPod Touch multiple times, and I have even unchecked some other playlists but I get the NOT ENOUGH ROOM message every time. Any suggestions please?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on May 6, 2020 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2020 10:53 AM

If the free space figure is to be believed, that means that:

• if you Sync without the new Playlist (which you say is only 1.4GB), and that works, there should still be 16.3GB free. Try it in order to make sure*
  • if you try to Sync the new Playlist and the message tells you that there isn't enough room, and that an additional 47MB is required, that means that iTunes is now trying to add a total of 16.347GB (let's say 16.4GB, which suggests that your rogue addition is 15GB in size. (That's 16.368GB, let's round it up to 16.4GB, minus the 1.4GB that you think your Playlist is, equals 15GB.) Do you have anything (such as a Playlist) that is approximately 15GB in size?

I think I've got the arithmetic correct. As for your observations about iTunes' replacement, once again, Apple's idea of intuitive seems at odds with reality. I think they've lost the plot.

* Make sure you know whether this works. (I assume that you have figured this out, but just to make sure). I have of course, not taken into account the setting you turned on to convert any higher Bit Rate songs to 128Kbps. If you're really desperate, you could try turning that off and making a note of what difference (if any) it makes. It might provide a clue.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2020 10:53 AM in response to Cosmic Rocker

If the free space figure is to be believed, that means that:

• if you Sync without the new Playlist (which you say is only 1.4GB), and that works, there should still be 16.3GB free. Try it in order to make sure*
  • if you try to Sync the new Playlist and the message tells you that there isn't enough room, and that an additional 47MB is required, that means that iTunes is now trying to add a total of 16.347GB (let's say 16.4GB, which suggests that your rogue addition is 15GB in size. (That's 16.368GB, let's round it up to 16.4GB, minus the 1.4GB that you think your Playlist is, equals 15GB.) Do you have anything (such as a Playlist) that is approximately 15GB in size?

I think I've got the arithmetic correct. As for your observations about iTunes' replacement, once again, Apple's idea of intuitive seems at odds with reality. I think they've lost the plot.

* Make sure you know whether this works. (I assume that you have figured this out, but just to make sure). I have of course, not taken into account the setting you turned on to convert any higher Bit Rate songs to 128Kbps. If you're really desperate, you could try turning that off and making a note of what difference (if any) it makes. It might provide a clue.

May 7, 2020 1:00 AM in response to Cosmic Rocker

If that's what the message says, that's what the message means, although hopefully, the message should tell you more than just that.

The solution is to work out what is trying to get onto your iPod that you haven't thought about - or to make sure that the amount of free space is really what you think.

Does the message give you any additional information, such as how much extra room is required? That may give you a clue about what is trying to be added to your iPod.

How did you arrive at the figure of 16.3GB of space on your iPod? (I assume, by your use of the phrase Music App, that you're using Mac OS Catalina, rather than iTunes, is that correct?) Is it a similar method to the iTunes one, which is a capacity bar at the bottom of the window? If so, does that capacity bar indicate the amount of space taken up by Other in addition to the amount of free space? Other is largely unusable files, that the iPod can no longer read.

May 7, 2020 10:14 AM in response to the fiend

"Does the message give you any additional information, such as how much extra room is required? That may give you a clue about what is trying to be added to your iPod."

Yes - every failed sync attempt shows a different amount of space needed to hold all content trying to be synced. One time it will say - 47 MBs needed, next try it might say 168 MB needed, it's never much but different every time.

"(I assume, by your use of the phrase Music App, that you're using Mac OS Catalina, rather than iTunes, is that correct?)"

Yes, and I hate it - wish they had never changed it!

"How did you arrive at the figure of 16.3GB of space on your iPod? "

Now with the Music App - syncing is through the FINDER so it's different. Again why did they have to change it? - it wasn't broke. Sooo as soon as it loads up, it shows right under the name of your device: 128 GB - 16.3 GB available. And if I go to settings on the iPod - General - iPod Storage - its shows the same 16.3 available.

May 8, 2020 8:14 AM in response to the fiend

Your arithmetic is correct and thanks for trying to help me figure this out. But as is common with Apple devices and their glitches here's how I fixed it. I thought OK I'll try to sync another device to the same Music App - my iPhone 11. Now it has over 65 GB free space so no problem - quick and fast. Then I went back to the iPod Touch in question - plugged it in to sync with the new playlist and guess what? It synced just fine and still shows now that I have over 14GB free. So who knows what was hanging it up showing "not enough space"?

When I go to sync this iPod Touch with the Music App does it say, "iPod can not be synced because there is not enough room."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.