Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory upgrade from 4gb to 8gb on a 2015 macbook air

Can Apple do this upgrade for me - my machine says my memory is low!

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 7:09 AM

I have a MacBook Air with only 4 GB memory and have never once encountered such a message, despite deliberately attempting to exhaust its memory by running literally every single app installed on it simultaneously. This leads me to suspect whatever you are seeing is bogus.

• It's very easy to determine if your Mac's performance is being limited by available memory. Please read Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac will benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

It's important to determine the legitimacy of that message because certain notorious adware has been known to result in its appearance.

This is a screenshot of a recent example (MacBook Air low on memory?)

The dialog in that example is completely bogus. You can see for yourself the Mac in that example has plenty of available memory.

Post a screenshot of that message if you wish, but use Activity Monitor to determine the truth.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Msivy1030

I have a MacBook Air with only 4 GB memory and have never once encountered such a message, despite deliberately attempting to exhaust its memory by running literally every single app installed on it simultaneously. This leads me to suspect whatever you are seeing is bogus.

• It's very easy to determine if your Mac's performance is being limited by available memory. Please read Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac will benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

It's important to determine the legitimacy of that message because certain notorious adware has been known to result in its appearance.

This is a screenshot of a recent example (MacBook Air low on memory?)

The dialog in that example is completely bogus. You can see for yourself the Mac in that example has plenty of available memory.

Post a screenshot of that message if you wish, but use Activity Monitor to determine the truth.

May 7, 2020 7:59 PM in response to Msivy1030

Hello Msivy1030,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about a RAM upgrade.

The MacBook Air model isn't upgradable, but there may be things to check for such alerts. Also, many times the alert for low storage is correlated with memory, which in fact the two are not related. In order to help, we would need to know the exact alert you are receiving, as well as when you are receiving it.

Some things to check, see what applications, programs, and other items are utilizing your computer. These two articles will help:

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

See how apps affect Mac performance, battery runtime, temperature, and fan activity - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Memory upgrade from 4gb to 8gb on a 2015 macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.