Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with automation

First off, I cannot find any information about the "second" automation track appearing at the bottom of the piano roll in the image below:

The automation volume levels in the piano roll editor don't agree with the levels in the track automation editor.

The reason I got involved with this question is because the volume of the classic electric piano track shown above changes independent of the automation graph. For example, the piano will suddenly get much louder even though the line representing the automation is perfectly horizontal and doesn't even have any nodes at the point where the volume increases. There are also no changes to the automation graph in the piano roll editor and in fact the piano roll automation gizmo isn't even enabled.

I used the "delete all automation on selected track" option in the "mix" dropdown menu and then redid all the automation but the problem persisted. Though I can't be 100% sure, I think I remember setting the automation to get louder at the problem point in the past though I had long ago deleted the nodes involved. It is though GarageBand remembers what I did earlier!

I've spent the last 8 hours trying to research and solve this problem with no luck. Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 8, 2020 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 3:08 AM

The automation below the piano roll is the midi draw area. There you can control midi events.

You may want to have a look at Edgar Rothermich's reply here - it addresses possible conflicts, if you are using both sets of automation at the same time:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6424685?answerId=26223365022#26223365022

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 3:08 AM in response to WallyFlint

The automation below the piano roll is the midi draw area. There you can control midi events.

You may want to have a look at Edgar Rothermich's reply here - it addresses possible conflicts, if you are using both sets of automation at the same time:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6424685?answerId=26223365022#26223365022

May 8, 2020 11:58 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for your response léonie! But I still don't know what to do because I can't seem to disable the midi automation. When I click the little automation icon of the midi draw area, it goes dark, indicating that automation is disabled for the midi draw area. I also user the "mix" dropdown menu to select the "delete all automation on selected track" option. I use this option to delete all automation on the midi track, but that still doesn't solve the problem.

May 8, 2020 3:30 PM in response to WallyFlint

Fixed the problem of track header volume slider changing on its own (with no corresponding change in the track automation graph). I created a totally new track (WITHOUT using the "New Track with Duplicate Settings" option). Then I called up the piano roll editor for the problematic track, used "select all" to select every note in the problem track, then I selected the "copy" option of the "edit" drop down menu. Then I created a region in the new track and pasted all the notes into that region. The track volume slider in the new track header no longer moved on its own without corresponding changes to the track automation graph. HOWEVER, now there's a new problem! When I export the song to disk (mp3 or wav), tracks still get louder in the former problem spots!

problems with automation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.