Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy photos from the iPhone to an external hard drive

Hello. I have a new iPhone 11 and want to move my old pictures to an external hard drive via the computer. When I started my new iPhone I could transfer all my pictures to my new phone so I did that. But now when I try to connect my phone with the computer, the computer can't find the phone. And when it does, I can only transfer a few pictures and then a square comes up that says that the computer no longer can find any pictures on the phone. I have tried three different computers, two different wires and on my new and my old iPhone but nothing works. I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I'm very frustrated because it's not working and I don't understand why. Please help me!

Sorry for my bad english I am swedish. Thank you!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 8, 2020 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 8:45 AM

Hey there kladdkakan321,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’d like to know if you can transfer your photos from your iPhone to an external drive but are having issues with your computer recognizing your iPhone. I’ll be happy to help.

Do you use iCloud with your Photos? If so, you can set up iCloud Photos on your computer as well, then transfer your photos to an external drive from there, even on PC. Take a look at this article for setting up iCloud Photos on Mac, iOS, iPadOS, and Windows:

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Once your photos have synced to your computer you can move them to an external drive. These articles can help:

Back up the library in Photos on Mac

Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC

If you don’t use iCloud, you’ll want to go through the steps in this link for the issues with your computer not recognizing your iPhone:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Once it’s recognized, follow the steps here to transfer your photos from your iPhone to your computer:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 8:45 AM in response to kladdkakan321

Hey there kladdkakan321,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’d like to know if you can transfer your photos from your iPhone to an external drive but are having issues with your computer recognizing your iPhone. I’ll be happy to help.

Do you use iCloud with your Photos? If so, you can set up iCloud Photos on your computer as well, then transfer your photos to an external drive from there, even on PC. Take a look at this article for setting up iCloud Photos on Mac, iOS, iPadOS, and Windows:

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Once your photos have synced to your computer you can move them to an external drive. These articles can help:

Back up the library in Photos on Mac

Set up and use iCloud Photos on your Windows PC

If you don’t use iCloud, you’ll want to go through the steps in this link for the issues with your computer not recognizing your iPhone:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod

Once it’s recognized, follow the steps here to transfer your photos from your iPhone to your computer:

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

Regards.

Copy photos from the iPhone to an external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.