Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No time to shut down mini plugged into UPS

I live somewhere with a flakey power grid, so I have my 2018 Mac mini (running the latest version of Catalina) plugged into a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to give me time to shut down during longer outages or keep working when the outage is just a few minutes. This was working great for a while, but now, my mini just shuts off if the power goes out. Everything else plugged into the UPS, including my monitors and modem, keep running until power comes back or I turn off the UPS.

What leads me to believe that I might have an OS issue rather than a problem with my UPS is that the second power is restored, my Mac is ready to go -- just have to sign on and get back to work. There's no indication that it was shut down violently or even rebooted. In that sense, I don't have a problem, but for the fact that I have to work in MS Word, which doesn't have an autosave feature. So if my Mac shuts off with no warning, I haven't manually saved in a while, and I'm nearing the end of a Time Machine backup cycle, I can lose up to an hour of work. Is there a setting I haven't found that can tell my mini to give me a couple of minutes to shut it down when the power situation gets dodgy?

Again, I was able to do this in the past. It's just been so long since I've been in this situations that I don't know how many updates ago that was.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 8, 2020 11:14 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 10, 2020 7:20 PM in response to Traveling Rae

I know every time I've ever installed MS Office that auto-save is enabled for all documents, but maybe if you are using the online version through the browser maybe it is not an option. The first thing I do is turn off auto-save in the Office apps (Word & Excel). I only make this change once so there is a global setting or at least there was with Office 2016.

Here is a Microsoft document which explains how to disable "AutoSave" for all files.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-autosave-6d6bd723-ebfd-4e40-b5f6-ae6e8088f7a5#OfficeVersion=macOS

Scroll down and expand the section titled "How to Make the Default to Not Autosave?". For some reason they don't mention going the other way, but I would expect checking the box for "Turn on AutoSave by Default" would do so for all files in that app except for the files that have been individually set differently.

How can I make the default to not AutoSave?

If you turn AutoSave Off for an individual file the program will remember to keep it off every time you reopen that file. If you switch it back On for an individual file, it will remember to keep in on for that file.
If you want to turn AutoSave off, by default, for all files, go to Preferences > Save, and uncheck the box next to Turn on AutoSave by default.

No time to shut down mini plugged into UPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.