Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is a better option for a student going to a university? iPad Pro or a MacBook?

as a student going to university, I am wondering what is a better option. the ipad pro and turn that into a computer or a mac book? I am going to be an engineering student so I like the ipad idea more because I can draw notes and diagrams with the apple pencil. but is the ipad pro going to be able to handle these big universtiy things? (i am in grade 12 right now). hoping to hear back from a university student but anyone can help me out :)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 12:28 PM

This is my own opinion on both.

I am currently a university student studying paramedic science and I can only really talk for my own course rather than engineering, however, I did study engineering for a year so understand a little bit.

When I studied engineering I had to do a lot of drawing and as my sister does architecture she also uses the IPAD extensively for drawings and stuff like that. I do drawing (hobby) and use it as a note taking device, as well as recently buying the new magic keyboard (I’m using it right now!). Ultimately, its your own decision on what you choose and I’d suggest looking for the many YouTube videos outlining and comparing the MACBOOKS to the IPADS and try and base your decision off of that.

My general opinion is that yes you can make the IPAD into a workable laptop and it works very well, and you have the flexibility to draw, note take and type all digitally whereas the MACBOOK you will only be able to (technically) type. As a person who likes to use both writing and typing, the IPAD is perfect for me.

I feel like the conclusion you have to come too is price, hardware and whether or not the features (such as the drawing, note taking etc) of the IPAD will outweigh the benefits of the MACBOOK. But ultimately, you have to choose whats best for you with what you will be studying.

If you have any questions at all please shoot away!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 12:28 PM in response to waleed707

This is my own opinion on both.

I am currently a university student studying paramedic science and I can only really talk for my own course rather than engineering, however, I did study engineering for a year so understand a little bit.

When I studied engineering I had to do a lot of drawing and as my sister does architecture she also uses the IPAD extensively for drawings and stuff like that. I do drawing (hobby) and use it as a note taking device, as well as recently buying the new magic keyboard (I’m using it right now!). Ultimately, its your own decision on what you choose and I’d suggest looking for the many YouTube videos outlining and comparing the MACBOOKS to the IPADS and try and base your decision off of that.

My general opinion is that yes you can make the IPAD into a workable laptop and it works very well, and you have the flexibility to draw, note take and type all digitally whereas the MACBOOK you will only be able to (technically) type. As a person who likes to use both writing and typing, the IPAD is perfect for me.

I feel like the conclusion you have to come too is price, hardware and whether or not the features (such as the drawing, note taking etc) of the IPAD will outweigh the benefits of the MACBOOK. But ultimately, you have to choose whats best for you with what you will be studying.

If you have any questions at all please shoot away!

What is a better option for a student going to a university? iPad Pro or a MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.