Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud for Windows installation problem

Error I get during setup. Your setup couldn't be started because of an unexpected error. (0x800706ba)

Posted on May 8, 2020 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 12:24 PM

This happened for me because outlook only had IMAP accounts, and the contacts/calendars/tasks were the "Contacts (This PC only)" style of folders.

To work around is problem:

Create new empty .pst file

Set it as default data file (File | Account Settings | Data Files Tab | Set as default on new local .pst file)

Close and reopen outlook to make sure it's default data file/moves everything

Re-run iCloud Control panel outlook setup wizard.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 12:24 PM in response to rckingsley

This happened for me because outlook only had IMAP accounts, and the contacts/calendars/tasks were the "Contacts (This PC only)" style of folders.

To work around is problem:

Create new empty .pst file

Set it as default data file (File | Account Settings | Data Files Tab | Set as default on new local .pst file)

Close and reopen outlook to make sure it's default data file/moves everything

Re-run iCloud Control panel outlook setup wizard.

May 9, 2020 3:35 PM in response to MI68

Hello MI68,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to install iCloud for Windows on your Windows computer. To help with this, please follow the relevant steps in this Apple resource, as well as temporarily disabling any security software you currently have installed on your Windows computer:

Get help using iCloud for Windows

Cheers!

Jun 5, 2020 10:30 AM in response to deanola

Hi, Deanola. Your problem looks a little different, as it relates to an Outlook profile issue. My recommendation would be to:

1. Open Outlook
  2. Go to 'File' / 'Account Settings' / 'Manage Profiles'
  3. In the new window that appears, click on 'Show Profiles'
  4. If you have only one profile, make sure that it is highlighted, and make sure that the 'Always use this profile' option is selected. If you have more than one profile, select the one you normally use, then select the 'Always use this profile' option, the click on 'OK'.

If you have only one profile and it is always used, you "may" want to consider adding another profile.

1. click the 'Add' button, and enter a new profile name.
  2. change the option to "Prompt for a profile to be used".
  3. Click 'OK'.
  4. Restart Outlook, and select the new profile you created.
  5. Add at least one email account.
  6. Close Outlook.
  7. Try configuring iCloud for Windows. If it fails, uninstall and reinstall, and try it again.

This may not fix it, but you can tinker with different combinations of accounts and profiles (especially if you are using IMAP email accounts, so you won't lose any data). Maybe if you can get everything into your 'new' profile and delete the old profile, things like that may resolve it.

Good luck.

Jun 2, 2020 11:27 AM in response to MI68

I have a client that is having the same problem, but a different implementation than most.

My client has a new MacBook Pro (running Catalina) that need to run Microsoft Outlook (due to business reasons), so Parallels is being used to run Windows 10 on the Mac, and it works fine. The client really wants to see their iCloud calendar and contacts in Outlook.

I just installed (and uninstalled and reinstalled) iCloud for Windows in the Windows 10 VM (I downloaded iCloud for Windows from the Microsoft Store). After installation, and AppleID/password authentication,the normal window popped up asking for what should be synchronized with iCloud, and only the Mail/Contacts/Calendars/Tasks option was selected.

The installation proceeded until the end of step 6 of 7 (downloading the pictures associated with contacts), then an error screen popped up saying the setup couldn't be started because of an unexpected error (0x800706ba).

Jun 5, 2020 8:52 AM in response to rckingsley

I also have the same issue, Office 365 is installed and working including outlook. The error is only with the Mail Contacts Calendars and tasks. I t runs but comes up with the Outlook Setup Error "Your setup couldn't be started because of an unexpected error (MAPI 0x80040604)" then when you press Try again you get Outlook Configuration Error "Setup can't continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile. Check your Outlook settings and try again.

I'm running Windows 10 latest 2004 build and Office 365. Tried reinstalling office and icloud several times still no goood.

I also have a laptop as well which has no issues with icloud.

Any ideas out there? or support. Do I raise a case.

Jul 24, 2020 1:23 PM in response to silversword411

silversword411,

Thank you! This worked for me. Although it works, it does not make the calendars in Outlook look "clean" (as I have so many versions that I need to hide) but at least I figured out how to sync between my laptop Outlook and my iPhone. THANK YOU for posting this simple workaround - I spent about five hours last night trying all these other remedies to no avail!

Aug 17, 2020 6:30 AM in response to silversword411

Thanks for posting this - I've been looking for a solution for this and yours seems like the best answer I've found. I also have only IMAP accounts in Outlook but I'm wary of adding a .PST file in case this somehow adversely affect the use of the .OST file (if it's set as the default in Outlook). Did that cause you any issues when you used this to fix your iCloud issue? Thanks

Icloud for Windows installation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.